"a golden chance for me" - Idris leadership essay draft

idriseltayeb 1 / 1  

Leadership and influence essay for chevening

Chevening is looking for individuals who will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

(Minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words).
After graduate I worked in my local city by composed of area society to make good work with my area team to do volunteer activities such as Cleaning school yards, playgrounds and classes, Planting trees, Graphics on the walls, Distribute stories and books to students to develop their reading, Financial donation to the school to develop some of its facilities teaching, and other activities like helping in houses building for poor people. during that time I worked in technical college as lecturer assistance for one year, I lead officially the college student activities but no longer I found a good work in electrical engineering. I joined sugar company as shift electrical engineer in power plant I lead the situation to attract the team, I feel responsible of my duties that should be fully performed. I devoted myself to guide, mentor, motivate, build the confidence between team, and I delegate duties among team members taking responsibilities to work together to implement the shift work, that allow me to direct team very carefully. In the same company I transferred to other section power distribution, the work in this section is under call work is required to be ready all day I faced this challenge with more conviction that I could lead the team and accomplish any job in this section. During the performance of the work, a storm came and caused falling of fifteen poles of transmission line between electrical substation and pumping station which led to power and water disconnected from project and the residents of the city. I moved alone to stand on the situation in the transmission line and I demonstrating essential capabilities such as negotiation, resilience, communication, then I lead the team from my section and other department to install new Poles of transmission line to return the electrical current to pumping station and the city In less than expected time.

In the year later I interviewed by Saudi electricity company to work as consultant engineer although the competition was high but I passed the interview and I leave my country to work in other country, as a consultant in project management department , this job required more leadership skills because I deal with many nationality , I used my personal skills on how to guide and direct team to achieve their work because a large part of the project member role involve dealing with people, I studied people behaviors and I knew how to deal with them to achieve project objectives, with this method of leading I completed the project with other consultant in less than two years.

When I return back to my country I worked as Senior Engineer in Pumping Stations, in this situation the guide, motivation, influence of people is very essential because the operation and maintenance works is required more careful, some faults need critical thinking to take decision, in this position I schedule routine maintenance program, work together with team to overcome device troubleshooting. Lead, develop, supervise and direct operation and maintenance team. When work is going normally in pumping station abnormal noise listened from one motor, quickly I stopped the motor and start for troubleshooting the cause of noise , when I found that I called maintenance team and I lead them to replace the damaged device by new one .

Through working experience in operation, maintenance, and development projects, I studied and obtained project management professional certificate (PMP) from Project Management Institute (PMI) to enhance my abilities to how lead and influence in people. Also I learned to focus primarily on the growth and well-being of people and the communities to which I belong.

Chevening scholarship will be a golden chance for me to be more motivated and inspired by chevening leaders and influencers in order to better serve my country for its sustainable development in the future.
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@idriseltayeb
Hello. Best of luck to your application in Chevening! As the number of applicants are swarming in, I hope that this feedback gives you an idea on how to improve your chances.

Firstly, make certain that your writing is abiding with formalities. This includes (but is not limited to) appropriate punctuation, the correct capitalization, and the correct approach towards structuring your sentences. It is critical that you have a stronghold approach to writing in this extent. From the first paragraph, you already had lapses in formality. Check the way that you write your sentences and ensure that you are compliant with the fundamental minimum requirements. This will help the readers understand your text in a better light.

Furthermore, the second and third paragraph appears to be quite messy. While it was great that you were attempting to explain everything in this cluster, try to add more organization by being more explicit with your thesis statements and logically link together the details that are found in the latter portions.

Last two paragraphs can be integrated for a more comprehensive conclusive remark.
OP idriseltayeb 1 / 1  
@Maria

Many Thanks Maria I will follow your advices

Home / Scholarship / "a golden chance for me" - Idris leadership essay draft