I am a good candidate for UGRAD Program, because of high motivation and desire to develop myself

Kasandra 1 / 1  

Why would I be a great participant in the global UGRAD Program

When I was a little girl I have a fantasy of studying in the US College or university but it was not so easy to get. The main reason was my family budget. Actually, I had never let that stop me from going after my dream. So made a to-do list in the fifth grade was the right call. Basic task was English. Fortunately, my hometown is Kyiv and finding courses and speaking clubs had never posed a problem. As I grow older interests also increased. Online platforms such as edX and coursera become one of my free time activities.

One day, during surfing the net the UGRAD program advertisement accidentally caught my eye. It was like a sign from above, which said 'Hey, it is your real chance to achieve your dream. Do not lose it!' Exactly at that moment, everything fell into place.

This year I got a number of useful possibilities. The first was the Yalta European Strategy 15th annual meeting, where all the world`s leaders gathered together. One quote from Condoleezza Rice made my day: 'In America, with education and hard work, it really does not matters where you came from; it matters only where you are going'. This event really inspired me for further actions; they were MBA course in Philip Morris and internship in Credit Agricole. It is undeniable that in those companies there are some things which could be made better, and my contribution would be greater after taking part in UGRAD.

The most interesting thing in exploring for me is economy. That`s why my USA course choice is economics and business. Regrettably, the economy in Ukraine is not developed enough. I have made a research in the University. The purpose of my research was to show entrepreneurs and investors the opportunities and directions for the best use of the intellectual capital of Ukraine. To achieve this goal, I analyzed the data of the world ratings of Ukraine and the United States (because the USA is one of the leaders in intellectual capital), used methods of statistical analyses. From my perspective, intellectual capital is the main factor of raising the economy of Ukraine. However, it is not used in the appropriate way.

I am sure that I am a good candidate for UGRAD Program, because of high motivation and desire to develop myself.

Do I need to change something? I will be grateful for any advice)
Nadia V.
Nadia, the first half of your essay and the reference to Condoleeza Rice make it appear that you are seeking a semester abroad in order to become some sort of immigrant to the United States after the semester is over. Since the U.S. has strict immigration policies at this time, it would be better for you to reframe those presentations to indicate a desire to study, without a reference to the quote or the reference to your family's inability to pay for your education abroad. In fact, you should revise this whole essay because it does not show any of your strengths as a student, a community member, or as a person, that would make you a good candidate for the scholarship. Since this is an academic scholarship, you need to highlight your academic proficiency and your community service accomplishments. The community service accomplishments can be in passing since there are separate essays that would allow you to better discuss those aspects. Just make sure to highlight your intention to be a bridge between the Ukraine and the United States in an effort to promote cooperation and international relations between the two countries.

Home / Scholarship / I am a good candidate for UGRAD Program, because of high motivation and desire to develop myself