A good leader must be a good communicator, good motivator, an impactful and inspirational person

Heinna10 3 / 9 2  
Hi all. I am applying for Chevening scholarship. Please help me to review my essay.

Chevening is looking for individuals who will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

I learned how to be a leader

In my opinion, a good leader must have the ability to be a good communicator,impactful , good motivator and inspirational. Everytime I come to a new place, the most thing I would look for is finding new friends and participating in a community. I believe when I have a good community, I also have good environment which would lead me to create good personalities, build network and strengthen leadership skill. Being a president of religious organization (XXX) in campus in my second year of study was a most memorable thing in my life. It was not easy to be a woman leader which I had to organize people with different characters and grades. Before I was opted as a president, I found that most students only participated in our routine worship and then go home without willing to socialize with other students or members of this organization. It realized me that those students could have been mingled among them and made many better changes for this organization and themselves. Together with my members, we made a new vision which was not only focused on building spiritual life but also developing relationship inside and out of campus. We also expected this organization could help students to improve personalities, skill and knowledge by sharing experience between the students.

To achive this vision, with our approching to students, we directly made small fellowship groups which there students could share and consult with our members. On this groups, they could consult about their personal problem directly. In two months, it got good response and many students came and join with these groups. Finally, student could interact and build relationship among them either in or out of our formal events. As other concern, we also made study discussion group, which also attracted people outside XXX joining with this group. Cooperation was one of the conclusive evidence of this development. At certain times, together with non-member XXX we made social events such as visiting orphanage and food distribution to street people. Since that time, XXX is not only oriented to the members, but also relationship with surrounding.

I was very happy that personal improvement came to each of them. The changes developed their academic, self-confidence, personalities and social skill. I also witnessed some of my junior's characters were changed to be much better. They even get good job and life now. Now, XXX starts enhancing its relationship with students from other universities and conduct certain events.

XXX was like second family for me. Through XXX, I learned and got many things. I learned how to be a leader, how to deal with many people with different character, manage time, share and solve problem. This experience really formed me be person with better personalities and it helped me a lot in my first career. XXX is my first step to start my career.
Bertha, this is not a very strong leadership and influencing essay. For one, a religious focus is not very favorable for this essay as the Chevening scholarship is non-sectarian so your narrative regarding preaching and socializing in a religious context may cause some inconveniences or problems when considering your application. Try to keep the religious aspect out of it just in case and turn this into a community service reference instead. Then evolve your leadership and influencing skill from there.

The presentation you have isn't enough to convince the reviewer that you have a high level of leadership and influencing abilities because there is no professional reference to your discussion. The foundation is looking for future leaders and influencers in their respective professions so unless you are planning on becoming a nun, you need to discuss your leadership and influencing skills within your active workplace. Otherwise, this essay will only be partially responsive to the requirements and will definitely be one of the weaker applicant essays presented during the screening round.
OP Heinna10 3 / 9 2  
Hi @Holt, Thank you for your advice. I will directly try to revise my essay. But I wonder about something, may I discuss about academic/ organisation leadership for this Chevening leadership essay? or Do you suggest me just to discuss about working leadership?
Bertha, you may discuss a series of leadership skills if you wish as long as it shows a progression of your leadership skills. That means, an improvement to your people management skills must be evident and your influencing skills must also evolve from an academic / organization setting to a professional set up by the end. The professional aspect is the most important discussion because that is where you can convince the reviewer that you have the potential to be a future leader and influencer in your country on a national or local scale.

I hope you understand why I would like you omit the religious aspect of your organizational background in this essay. If you have a different academic group involvement when you led a project or, if you have a community based organization membership that falls under the required criteria, then you may present one or both in the essay. As long as it shows your early effective leadership style that evolved into your current leadership and influencing capacity within your profession.

I cannot advise on your networking essay here. That needs to be posted in a new and different thread the admin will delete the networking essay once they see it posted here.
OP Heinna10 3 / 9 2  
Hi

Thank you for your explanation. I understand now. I will make new revised essay and come to this thread back later after I finished it

I will make new thread about different topic, hope you can help me too.

Home / Scholarship / A good leader must be a good communicator, good motivator, an impactful and inspirational person