Graphic designer; Tell us about your academic/career short-term and long-term goals.

gabi_gallegos 2 / 2  
Im very bad at writing essays but i need this, can you help me please.

Tell us about your academic/career short-term and long-term goals.
How has your heritage influenced these goals?

America is a continent where billions of people live. In the center of this continent there is a small strip of countries that without them it could not be called continent America because this countries get together North America with South America. El Salvador, land where I was born and grow for 19 years, has left me many qualities as my Hispanic heritage. I have learned from the small details of life that everything that is around you gives you a heritage. After 19 years I am here, in the U.S., with many dreams and goals.

The Salvadorian people have been a big influence in my life. I have the opportunity to visit some families in "San Antonio", a very poor town. I used to go there with a charity group from my school. We gave them food and clothes from donations in our school. The people were always happy and grateful with us when we give them those things. They get money from the coffee that they harvested. It is a huge process to get the coffee ready to sale. They first grow the plant, after that they cut the grains, then they dry it with the sun and finally they separate the bad grains from the good grains.

It's a long process that can take a week or more to get finished. They used to tell us that it is a very hard and exhausting job but they always make it with passion to get the best results. Have you ever wondered how the people behind that daily cup of coffee that you drink are? They told us that they always try to do their best to make a person happy with that coffee even though they don't even know who will drink it. They said that at the end of the process they feel very satisfied to be part of someone's day even if they didn't realize it.

Can you imagine how big the heart of this poor people is? They can't buy the biggest house or the latest model of car, but they make their job passionately, thinking of the happiness of someone else before their own happiness. That's one of many lessons that I have learnt from the people in El Salvador.

I'm about to start my first year of College studying graphic design and I have many goals ahead. One of them is to show that even though I come from the smallest country in America I have great academic potential. I'm proud to be Latin; they are always smiling, with a lot of creativity in their hands and in their minds. Handcraft is one of the most beautiful things that Salvadorians can do. Graphic design is a career that requires all of that creativity, and I plan to exploit it to the fullest. I want to show that you can create something out of what you cannot imagine.

I want to be that person who designs something that people need and do it with passion. I want to be, as the people who harvest the coffee, part of the day of someone else, even if the people do not notice it. In the future my biggest goal is to become a renowned graphic designer. I do not want this for the fame or money but mainly to influence others. Many people think that because they are in a third world country cannot achieve their goals in life; I want to show them the opposite.
s23180185 2 / 5  
It's a good story. But there's a lot of sentence structure problems. I would take out the first sentence and re-word the part you're talking about America.

Home / Scholarship / Graphic designer; Tell us about your academic/career short-term and long-term goals.