"The great achiever". LEADERSHIP AND INFLUENCE QUESTION OF CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP

FELIOLUWATOBI 3 / 1  
LEADERSHIP AND INFLUENCE QUESTION OF CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP

There was a time in my life when I didn't step the floors of a school for two good terms due to financial struggles. I was registered in a primary school in no time and after the third term of that academic session, my academic potential was discovered. I performed excellently in my primary and secondary school days and even represented my school in state and national competitions. This made me gain admission into the university to study Agricultural Economics and Farm Management in 2009. Even though the Nigerian economy was dependent on crude oil and not agriculture as that time. Many people looked down on agriculture, so I was advised to study a more tangible course in school, I made up my mind that I was going to be a leader and an influential person in my chosen endeavor. I have leadership skills that can influence people in my career and society.

During my university days, I engaged myself as a part-time tutor in Greater Grace Tutorial Center, as a leader, you must be vision developer, I made the students realize their goals early in life, encouraged them to take their studies and never allow social vices to ruin their education because they are the future leaders of Nigeria. Individualization was done also as I gave personal counseling and mentor-ship.

In 2012/2013, I was the female coordinator during my Farm Practical Year in Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Ogun State and where I led 210 students. It was a whole lot of commitment; the farm was in a core rural area, Iwoye-Ketu, a village in the outskirt of the country with challenging norms. During the Easter break of 2013, students traveled to town for Easter yuletide. I had to stay back in the village in order to attend to the livestock (pullets, rabbits, goats, fishes) in terms of giving them feeds, administering vaccines, putting them to constant check and taking stock of all farm activities.

In 2015/2016, during my National Youth Service Corps in Plateau State, I made a significant and innovative mark in the sand of time in the University of Jos Library by setting the pace for digitization of administrative records where I began this activity with the library staffs in an organized and sustainable manner. At this period, I was also the Music Director of Deeper Life Corpers' Fellowship, I motivated the members of the fellowship, and the number of choristers increased from three to eight.

On the 25th of August, 2016, I spoke as one of the guest speakers for the program, "Meet the Achievers" in my church where about 1000 youths were gathered. I made a positive influence that day because my citation was read to them and how I made my first class honors at age 22. I encouraged them that they can reach and achieve their goals in life no matter their current predicaments. I became a role model after the program as my name changed to "the great achiever".
Feli, in terms of a college application personal statement, your narrative is quite engrossing and impressive. As a future Chevening scholar, it does not hold up to the standards of the scholarship and the competitor applicants. You have narrated events in your life that have led you to become an achiever in one way or another. However, most of the roles that you spoke of have you in the role of a follower and not a leader. The position that you had at the tutorial center isn't exactly the kind of life altering leadership that can impress the reviewer.

When you speak of your leadership skills, you need some sort of professional or notable organizational membership to accomplish this. As I review your paper yet again, I cannot find a solid professional referral that can be used to exemplify your leadership and influencing skills. It just doesn't exist in the current information you have presented.

In order to present a clear leadership skill, you need to have been involved in the development of something, a project, a cause, an organization, or anything called upon people to listen to you for leadership and to follow your example in order to influence them to do what you need them to do. Please consider finding something along these lines that you can present in your essay. At this point, this essay doesn't properly respond to the prompt and will not help your application should you decide to submit it.

Home / Scholarship / "The great achiever". LEADERSHIP AND INFLUENCE QUESTION OF CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP