"All of the great leaders" - quote essay for Vandy's chancellors scholarship

mynameisrena 2 / 9  
Hey guys,

I'm applying for the Chancellor's Scholarship at Vandy, and it requires me to write an essay about a quote. Well, I haven't done this since elementary school, and I can't remember what I'm supposed to do.

the prompt is:

The values promoted by the Chancellor's Scholars are leadership, scholarship, diversity, and citizenship. To give the selection committee insight into your understanding of these values, please respond to the following statement in approximately 500 words:

"All of the great leaders have had one characteristic in common; it was the willingness to confront unequivocally the major anxiety of their people in their time. This, and not much else, is the essence of leadership." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Should I write a commentary on the quote (agree/disagree/qualify) or should I write about myself and something related to being a leader etc.,etc. ?

Thanks in advance for your help! Aja aja! fighting! :3
rebrose 8 / 20  
Perhaps you can use the quote to start a discussion on what you believe are the qualities of a leader.
willingness to confront unequivocally the major anxiety of their people

Wow, this is really excellent. Thanks so much for sharing it.

the first thing to do is appreciate it. Can you? Is this what leadership really is? What is it that this tells us about the nature of leadership? It can be many things, but it always includes this.

The most important thing to do is understand the quote deeply, and yes, apply it to your envisioned process for the future. How does this apply to the leadership situations that go with your plan?

:-)

Home / Scholarship / "All of the great leaders" - quote essay for Vandy's chancellors scholarship