We can grow positively from the interaction or communication we engage with others - Chevening

Duzaho 4 / 9 3  

NETWORKING ESSAY

Personally, I believe we can grow positively from the interaction or communication we engage with others. The above statement was justified by my experience in the Six months internship (Industrial Training) at the Kaduna Refining and Petrochemicals Company Kaduna, Kaduna State. It was a great privilege and honour to had training in such prestigious Company, as I was dedicated and hard working during my training. Apart from the daily routine check and maintenance of rotating equipments and other administration work I was assigned to, I was also connected with the Team Lead of the System Application and Product Preventive Maintenance (SAP PM) Module Project Engr. Aliyu Umar where I gradually learn the application quickly under his guidance. Soon, three months elapsed, which was the exact duration of our training issued by the Management Company. But due to the network I have created with staff and my fluency in SAP PM, I decided to continue for the next three by volunteering in training other staff in the Company on the application because it was just introduced. However, I kept increasing my network connections with other staff during or after the training sessions. At the end of my internship period I had accumulated over 400 hours of volunteering training. As a result of these network, I was offered a job in her Staff Cooperative Society immediately after my NYSC Scheme.

I also have a great opportunity to show my networking skills during the NYSC Scheme. I established a good network connections with my fellow Corp members, students and others in the community. In addition, I had a good network with other lecturers in my Place of Primary Assignment (Akwa Ibom State College of Science and Technology, Nung Ukim Ikono LGA Akwa Ibom State) especially Dr. Samuel Oworekpe, who was the Deputy Registrar Academic in the school, I am still in touch with him and I believe someday I can contribute to the development of the school.

Furthermore, even after my graduation I am still in contact with my colleagues through the social media (Facebook and Whatsapp) groups created to keep us connected with each other, I am also in contact with my lecturers, professors and most importantly my Project Supervisor, also the Secretary to the HOD of the Department who have been of help. I am now certain that my life is filled with a network of people who have helped me become who I am today.

In conclusion, certainly I will not experience any difficulties interacting with fellow Cheveners around the world. I will be happy to be part of these prestigious network of great leaders.
KROBERT 3 / 5 1  
Hi Vincent,
Your essay is great and I have a belief you have a lot to offer. As per my experience, there's still something lacking to convince the panelists.

As in the first paragraph you illustrated the results of your networking potential, you'd also prove how you have sustained your networking skills and how you have benefited. Communicating with people alone isn't enough but how you have utilized the opportunity that comes with it to your benefit or to the benefit of those around you. Then this informs how you will be able to exploit the opportunities that come with a number of Cheveners you'll be meeting to develop your country.

I suggest you look again into this area.

Thank you
Duzaho, your networking experience is too localized. It is internal to your place of internship or work and your academic community. These are not the types of national networking contacts that Chevening is looking for. Therefore, this essay will not help to make you a competitive applicant for the scholarship. It is too weak and unimportant in scale. What you need to do is prove that you have a network that covers your current professional tasks, not your internship, not your academic community. We need a current working network that has proven to be beneficial to your job performance, enhancement, and opportunities. That is what Chevening is looking for among its participants.

There is nothing in your presentation that depicts your network(s) are something that could be beneficial to the Chevening community of graduates and current scholars. You need to think about how Chevening gives due importance to a true working network based on a national scale. Revise the essay to reflect such an importance. Otherwise, your networking essay will not be competitive enough.

Look at the other sample Networking essays at this forum. Read them and learn from their networking discussion essays. Then pattern your networking essay after those samples using information from your specific professional background instead.

Home / Scholarship / We can grow positively from the interaction or communication we engage with others - Chevening