"Growing up math" - Gates Millennum - Subject you had difficulty in

mimiallen 4 / 8  
Prompt
Discuss the subjects with which you had difficulty. What factors do you believe contributed to your difficulties? How have you dealt with them so they will not cause problems for you again? In what areas have you experienced the greatest improvement? What problem areas remain?

Growing up math was always a troublesome subject for me. The teacher would put equations on the board that everyone around me seemed to answer quickly, but always left me stuck on one problem, or asking the teacher for help. Everyone would look at me as if I was dumb because I could not seem to grasp the work. The topic that made me struggle the most was word problems, I could never understand how to break the problem down, or solve it correctly. I constantly raised my hand to ask for the help of others. My classmates began to get frustrated with me, and began to pick on me because I could not understand problems that seemed easy to them. I began to struggle and have difficulties on test because I lacked confidence. Every time a test was placed in front of me I told myself that I was going to fail. Having a lack of confidence caused me to fail my test and quizzes, and also caused serious test taking issues. Before every test my teacher would excuse me from the classroom so I could take a minute to pull myself together and breathe.

Noticing that this was becoming too much of a serious problem for me I decided that I had to make a change, so I came to a conclusion that I would attend tutoring. Every day after school I stayed in tutoring to receive extra help. At first I still did not understand how to solve word problems, and I thought I would struggle with this topic throughout my school years. My teacher told me that all I needed to do was apply myself and have confidence. Taking my teacher advice I began applying myself and the word problems began to seem easy to me. I also began a little ritual before taking a test, where I clear my mind and tell myself that I am smart and will past my test. My test scores began to improve and I was no longer failing, in fact I began to have the highest test scores in my class. I still have a slight difficulty when it comes to word problems but I no longer let it get the best of me. Determination and confidence goes a long way.

Feel Free to make corrections
jemeshay 3 / 8  
I believe you could use better terminology. For instance, instead of using the word dumb, use incompetent or ignorant or even oblivious to the subject at hand . Also instead of using "pick on me" try "ridicule me ".

I also think you should tell the time period in which you had the difficulty with math. Also you could expound more on how or what your teacher did to help you in tutorial. And don't end you essay off so abruptly.

My test scores began to improve and I was no longer failing, in fact I began to have the highest test scores in my class. I begin mastering concepts so quickly that sometimes my teacher would have tell me to keep a steady pace with the class. Howe ver, I still have a slight difficulty when it comes to word problems but I no longer let it get the best of me. I have learn that in order to overcome a problem, first I have to understand my weakness and thats what I did with math. For the simple fact, I was able to relieve myself of stress and difficulties with test taking and my peers, I was able to join tutorial classes and become more efficient in math and take the proper steps to staying efficient in this subject. I have learned that not only skills and assistance was my key to progress but also determination and confidence vital asset as we ll.
allstarz000 /  
Hello
I like how you started but you might want to use better grammar.
kikiallen 1 / 10  
Math - Gates - Subject you had difficulty in

As human beings we all have areas in which we excel and areas where we do not, and math was a subject that I had difficulty excelling in. As long as I can remember I could easily read and write, but solving math equations was definitely complicated to me. In first grade it was hard for me to add and subtract large numbers, then I could not master fractions, and later on Math B was just as difficult as it could get. In first grade I eventually learned how to do the things I had difficulty in, but in high school with Math B it was different. The teacher would teach the class the lesson that was planned for the day, and then follow up on questions to determine if we understood the lesson plan. The teacher would then call on people to solve the problems given, and I could never solve them without any help. When the teacher called on me to solve a problem, I would get nervous because all the numbers would get scrambled in my head, and I would shut down and tell the teacher "I don't know." Besides my participation in class, my test and homework grades plummeted along with my self confidence in the math class. After a while I noticed that understanding math is like teaching a child how to read, it takes time and effort. Being said, every day after school I stayed for tutorial sessions in which I got help with homework and previous tests that I failed. My teacher told me that the effort I put into math also counts at home, so at night I studied everything I learned that day. Gaining my confidence back, I participated more and began to receive 90's and better. Although I still have a difficult time comprehending word problems, I continue to go to tutoring so that it would be easier for me to excel in.
em2always 15 / 79  
cnage this...beings we all have areas in which we excel and areas where we do not, and math was a subject that I had difficulty excelling in....to this....beings we all have areas in which we excel and areas where we do not. Math was a subject that I had difficulty excelling in.

anytime after u say "in first grade" it needs a comma after grade

After a while I noticed that understanding math is like teaching ...need comma after word "while"

need stronger conclu sentence

please look at my essay onleadership
kikiallen 1 / 10  
thank you for your comments
Mick 3 / 14  
Is this supposed to be one paragraph? If not, may I suggest you try to separate it into at least two?
Otherwise not bad. I have one question: how many essays are required for the Gates scholarship, and do they all have to be around this length??

Also, could you look at my Cornell Supplement (It's already been sent in, but I'd like an opinion on it).

Home / Scholarship / "Growing up math" - Gates Millennum - Subject you had difficulty in