Guatemala Experience as a Health Specialist; NHSC Scholarship-Why Primary HealthCare?

PA Applicant 4 / 16 4  
Please discuss your commitment to pursue a career in primary health care. 1,500 characters or less (Currently 1,570)
Once again, thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have!

Working as a preventive health specialist in Guatemala for the past two years, I have realized the importance of preventive medicine in the overall scheme of primary care. I hope that once I start practicing in primary care I will be able to take much of my preventive health experience including health education and transfer it to the situations at hand. By using both preventive and curative medicine, I hope to achieve the most success with my patients as possible. Furthermore, I look forward to attending to primary care's large array of demographics. The idea of constantly having a diversity of patients and cases is a very appealing aspect that draws me to primary care.

Furthermore, I recognize my yearning to work in primary care every time I work in the regional hospital's pediatric ward. Each week I witness situations and hear stories that could tug at anyone's emotions. When I hold a three year old child whose bones I can feel through his hospital gown and who has not yet learned to walk, I am overwhelmed with the desire to provide education and a remedy for the family. Working with patients whose illnesses need to be acknowledged and cared for has created a burgeoning pain in my heart that has augmented my zeal to work in primary care with this population. Each patient, family member, and visit to the villages continues to kindle the fire that has continuously been growing to work with the underserved. For me, these are the patients, population, and area of health that I look forward to surrounding myself with each and every day of work.
KYOAAA 6 / 20 1  
It is a very touch essay. But I should encourage you to give more specific ideas.

Home / Scholarship / Guatemala Experience as a Health Specialist; NHSC Scholarship-Why Primary HealthCare?