"Not having someone help me understand my academic classes" - challenge

LILYVEGA21 3 / -  
5. Overcoming an Academic Challenge: *

Describe a recent academic challenge you have faced.
Explain how you overcame it.*

Please answer this essay question (600 words maximum).
We suggest you first write and edit your essay in a separate word document, then copy and paste it into the text box below.

In the course of my education I have faced several obstacles. The most significant academic challenge has been not having someone to guide and help me understand my academic classes. As a first born child from a primarily Spanish-speaking household, education became tremendously difficult because although my parents sincerely desired to help me, they did not know how. But this challenge did not keep me from accomplishing my goals. It only made it difficult-not impossible.

Kindergarten was the most difficult year; it marked a new important chapter in my life. Not only would I have to learn how to read and write but I also had to learn how speak English which was a new language for me. The problem continued during the year, but ultimately it forced me to become more independent and confident in my abilities. I quickly became accustomed to the new language; however the barriers did not end there. I recall that most of my classmates never had much trouble completing their homework because they had people to help them, whether it was their parents or an elder sibling-none of which were options I had. Although there was several times in which I wanted to give up, my parents stood by my side and supported me. As I reflect back on this period in my life, I can see that they prepared me for education and for life through motivation, support and encouragement. They taught me to always keep trying no matter what stood in my way. All in all they did the best they could.

Recently, math has become one of my biggest obstacles. Unfortunately, I cannot turn to my parents for help. But I have pushed myself to continue through the struggle by getting tutoring, asking for help, asking questions and studying. Thanks to the support my parents have provided me with I have passed the Algebra 2 course and have chosen to continue challenging myself in this subject. I am currently taking pre- calculus and determined to overcome its difficulties.
Jayzee 3 / 12  
Hey, it's a good essay some grammatical mistakes and make sentence formation better.

Good luck :)

Home / Scholarship / "Not having someone help me understand my academic classes" - challenge