Home / Scholarship   % width NEW!

"Helping my intellectually disabled sister": apply for the PhD scholarship

flymia 1 / -  
Hello:

I am a graduated student whishing to apply for a scholarship to study PhD in the UK. I have to answer the following questions:

Please comment below (not exceeding 300 words) explaining why you think that you are a particularly suitable candidate for a scholarship and how a scholarship will contribute to your long term career aims. (Please note that awards are based on academic merit and that financial circumstances are not taken into account.)

I am not a native speaker, and may have some grammer mistakes in the essay. Please kindly give me some advice and how you feel about the content. Very appreciate and many thanks! : )

I have an Intellectual Disability sister. With the profound experience, I have learned to transform pressure into the active action and inner strength, which has become one of my important characteristics. I have more intense experience as being a disabled sibling myself and have more strong awareness of the gaps between actual needs and academic research than other researchers. This has become my main motivation to do the research and enabled me to be a special candidate for the scholarship.

I also had extensive experience of volunteer activities, such as holding summer or winter camps for my hometown children, and participated in Global Youth Service project to class help program in disabled children. With the background of social work and clinical psychology training, most of my research experience is related to family function and treatment effect. In the coming three years of my PhD career, I am looking forward to have academic exchange between Asia and western culture. My ambition is to build a center for needed children and parents, where clinical practitioners can provide the long-term services without worry about insurance. From improving the adjustment problems of individuals to the well-being of the whole family, I expect this center could be the model of the health care delivery in the near future.

With the encouragement of the scholarship, I could have more chance to learn more from the outstanding scholars. As I am coming from a small island: Taiwan, the way to get ahead and make progress is to learn from other countries. Thus, I see your scholarship program as more than money or an aid to further my career. I see it as the first step towards fulfilling the ideal of the social welfare.

Home / Scholarship / "Helping my intellectually disabled sister": apply for the PhD scholarship