Himalayan Kingdom of Nepal - agriculture as the sine-qua-non of all economic activities; scholarship

Suzns 1 / -  
I am SujanPanta, an aspiring undergraduate, from Himalayan kingdom of Nepal, where agriculture is the sine-qua-non of all economic activities with 65.7% of the economically active population engaged in agriculture. Nepalese agriculture is bestowed with tremendous potential in terms of climatic niches and biodiversity. But the paradox is that we have not yet been able to harness the potential. Various factors hinder agricultural productivity including less niche based crop verities, lack of advance technologies in addition to the lack of trained manpower with advance technological knowledge, research and development activities are greatly restricted in this particular field. Therefore, there is a felt need for more and more agriculture graduates with advance recruitment in crop science.Brought up in farming background and rural hinterlands, I was always aspired to improve the disgraced and miserable condition of Nepalese agriculture.

My educational status as a first grade student at the intermediate and the bachelor levels, being winner of university merit scholarships majoring on agricultural sciences, Horticulture, helped me pave my way. During my undergraduate studies, I began to develop fascination towards horticulture, particularly in the areas of production, value chain and marketing. After completion of bachelor degree, I worked on Teaching institution to train the agriculture Junior Technical Assistance and then I have started work on NGO,Good Neighbors Nepal/ Mugu Community Development Projects as Livelihood officer since January 2011, which organization is working on Agricultural and developmental issues with a view to empower communities through awareness, training, research and developmental activities to improve the sustainable agriculture productivity, social, economic and environmental well being and aims at exploring, improving and integrating adoptable technologies to enhance and accelerate environmental conservation and sustainable agricultural development. In addition to this, working with CEAPRED for USAID funded feed the future project Knowledge based Integrated Sustainable Agriculture and Nutrition Project provide the real field situation analysis of the Nepalese agriculture. It works for the food security, income generation and nutrition of the poor people with the value chain approach.

In my feeling, the knowledge and experience that I have acquired to date is not sufficient to face the challenges in the field of agriculture research and development. However, I am confident that the experience gained in the field of research and development will be an added benefit to set the foundation of my post-graduate study with significant contribution to my area of specialization.

Due to nature of research and developmental works, the degree offered by the WageningenUniversity, on the plant science is suited to place my candidature as a student. My bachelor studies and experiences from job create the interest on horticulture.After getting degree from your university, I can use this knowledge in my own country for sustainable agriculture development. I will concern INGOs, NGOs, government bodies and CBOs to extend the ideas to rural farmers effectively and easily so that they could be self-depended and raise the socio-economic status on their own effort. I would like to entrust you that I will spend all my hours in the services in the rural areas of Nepal.

Finally, I am optimistic about the acceptance of my application and I hope to receive admission to study for a postgraduate course with relevance to developing country. Pursuing my education through this great institution would be a matter of great personal pleasure and glory to me. I affirm that I will abide by the rules and regulations set by the authority and I would try my best to add to the fame and glory of the university.
Sujan, were you provided with a prompt for your scholarship letter? It would be easier for me to review and advise you about your essay content and format if I knew what the letter is expected to contain in terms of information. I can tell that you are using this as a method introducing yourself to your reader but you have created a very wordy and lengthy essay that seems to contain too much information. Information that may not all be necessary in the final format of the letter. Kindly provide me with further instructions for the review of the letter so that I can be sure that I am giving you appropriate and relevant advice in terms of revisions.

Home / Scholarship / Himalayan Kingdom of Nepal - agriculture as the sine-qua-non of all economic activities; scholarship