How my Hispanic Heritage has influenced my goals; SCHOLARSHIP

mj2794 3 / 7 2  
I am currently applying for the Hispanic Scholarship Fund's scholarship and they require an essay on the following topic:
Tell us about your academic/career short-term and long-term goals.
How has your Hispanic heritage influenced these goals? * 400-600 words

This is what I have written so far, a total of 486 words. I would appreciate any kind of feedback -- on grammar, spelling, content, etc.

As an undergraduate student at the Maryland Institute College of Art, my academic goals are to make the best of the various classes that this school offers. Artistically, I wish to become well versed in as many different art forms as I can. I have sought the advice of many of my professors and they all agree that as an artist it is important to learn various skills. Thus, throughout these four years of college I would like to become familiar with not just painting and drawing but also with Illustration, Animation, Sculpture, and Graphic Design. Luckily, MICA offers not just Majors but also what are called "concentrations" in other areas of studies. Under these programs there are a variety of classes that will challenge me to experiment with my art, eventually allowing me to grow and improve as an artist. In the future I will hopefully incorporate all the skills I've learned into the career of a concept artist or character designer for Disney Animation Studios.

In addition to hopefully one day working for Disney Animation Studios, I would also like to have my own personal work exhibited in galleries and museums. As an artist, I strongly value concepts and ideas. I believe that art is not just about making an aesthetically beautiful painting, but also about creating work that has a universal meaning. With this being said, another academic goal of mine is to become more aware of the world around me and the political, social, and ecological events of the day. Not only do I want to take the classes that MICA offers about Gender Studies and Culture and Politics, but I also want to do my own research and readings about topics that I could convey conceptually through my artwork. As an individual I want to gain knowledge that I can communicate through the artwork that I will share with the community.

As a Cuban-American, I feel like being Hispanic has played a huge role in defining who I am. I value and appreciate the Hispanic traditions that have shaped my experiences growing up. Traditions such as Quinces, Noche Buena, Los Reyes Magos, Carnavales and more. Thus, with my Academic and Career goals I also wish to proudly represent my Hispanic heritage. As a Hispanic artist I would like to portray not just these festive traditions, but also the history of Latin countries. For example, I am particularly interested in depicting my feelings towards the last century of Cuban History, how communism and Fidel's revolution has altered the lives of generations of Cubans. Although I did not live during those times I feel like I still have a connection to those events, a connection that interests me and that I want to explore and make art about. Overall, through my art I wish to become a representational voice for Hispanics, a personal goal that in turn influences my academic and career goals.
Under these programs there are a variety of classes that will challenge me to experiment with my artistic talents , eventually allowing me to grow and improve as an artist.

In addition to hopefully one day working for Disney Animation Studios, I would also like to have my own personal work exhibited in galleries and museums

.... sounds a bit repetitive since you more or less used the same words in describing your long term goal. This is what I suggest;
In addition to my dream of working for Disney Animation Studios, I would also like to exhibit my own personal art works in galleries and museums.

As an artist, I strongly value concepts and ideas. I believe that art is not just about making an aesthetically beautiful painting, but also about creating work that has a universal meaning.

.... how about passing strong messages to society?
OP mj2794 3 / 7 2  
Thank you so much! That is great feedback.
Marsbar 1 / 2  
Brilliant essay! However, in the last paragraph I think you should expatiate on the Hispanic traditions stating exactly how they infulenced your art. True you talk about wanting to represent your heritage. The big question is how did these traditions and festivals influence/ inspire your art. Good luck :)

Home / Scholarship / How my Hispanic Heritage has influenced my goals; SCHOLARSHIP