Essay on how my Hispanic heritage has influenced my goals- feedback

natsheriff 1 / 2  
Hello,

Could you please critique my essay regarding my involvement in extracurricular activities and what lessons I have learned?

I have had the opportunity to participate in several extracurricular activities, but want to highlight a trip I took in March of 2003. As a member of my church I often heard of missionary trips to foreign countries. One particular missionary and his family moved to Sierra Leone, in West Africa. Sierra Leone is recognized as the poorest nation on the earth. The missionary, Alvin Smith, returned to the United States after a brutal civil war ravaged the nation, but left his church in the hands of a local pastor. Pastor Smith never forgot the unfortunate people he encountered and has maintained contact with the Sierra Leonan church throughout the years. Pastor Smith is a member of the congregation I attend and I never tire of listening to his first hand accounts of the people of Sierra Leone. I could not help but be moved by the stories I heard. When I heard of a medical mission taking place in Freetown, Sierra Leone, I did not hesitate to sign up. I do not have a medical background, but I was willing to contribute in any way I could.

I raised the money to pay for my vaccinations and other travel expenses. When well-meaning friends and family expressed their concerns with my traveling to Africa, I politely heard them out, but was determined to set out on the journey. I knew in my heart that any sacrifices I made would be worthwhile. I do admit that I was nervous about making the trip; however, I was fortunate to be joining my friend, who is a nurse. After close to 48 hours of flying and taking a ferry, we arrived in the city of Freetown, Sierra Leone. The next morning we set up the informal clinic in a large open room and our medical team was joined by volunteers from the church in Freetown.

I did not realize how valuable our services were until I witnessed a long line of people waiting to be examined. I was able to assist the pediatrician by comforting the children that came in and offering them a little treat. Many of the children that came were malnourished or suffering from parasites. Our doctors were able to hydrate them or provide them with medicine. I held a malnourished infant in my arms and will never forget the look on his small face. The mission team was only in Sierra Leone for a week, but we served countless individuals. What impacted me most is how medical conditions can progress so far because of the lack of simple or medical care. I am more appreciative of our access to quality medical care in the states. I was able to witness the deep gratitude of the patients we served. I do not ever want to take what I have for granted. The most difficult part of the trip was having to say good-bye to all of my new African friends. I count it a privilege to have been able to travel to West Africa and participate for such a worthy cause.
Prettywings 1 / 74  
Your essay is well written, but you don't include anything about how your Hispanic heritage influenced your goals.

Home / Scholarship / Essay on how my Hispanic heritage has influenced my goals- feedback