'the Hispanic population and education' - CHCI Scholarship Essay

geebs5 4 / 6 1  
1: What field do you intend to pursue if you receive this scholarship, and how will the Latino community benefit?
In 2009, only thirteen percent of the Hispanic population contained a bachelor's degree or higher, 69% were involved with civilian labor, and merely eighteen percent had jobs in management. The majority of Latinos are immigrants and so their daily struggles include poverty, separated or incomplete families, poor education, traumatic events from their native lands, and very limited English. It can be challenging to quickly adapt in a foreign land and become a successful person. However, each day thousands of Latino men and women fight through the criticism and tough situations in an attempt to reach success. At a very young age I was exposed to traumatizing events which have left their mark upon my family's heart. After experiencing and seeing the effects of these struggles, my desire of psychology became evident. I've always had a great passion for community service and volunteer work not only because it brings me great joy, but because of the reactions and spirit of gratitude it brings to others. Through psychology not only have I found an explanation for the behaviors and attributes one possess, but I've found a way to help those in need of healing and escaping as well. If I won this scholarship I would major in the field of Psychology because it would give me the chance to help struggling Latinos such as myself who face daily trails and adversity. Those who are traumatized by bullying, harassment, loneliness, depression, suicidal thoughts and so forth would be able to come to me for help. My plan is to open up a psychiatric office and rehabilitation center for teens, young children, and even adults who face these issues each day. I want to make a difference for my future generations, and in doing so, hopefully setting the example of triumph through hard work. It wasn't easy to overcome bullying, to learn the English language, to adapt to American ways, to open up and make new friendships, or to face each day knowing that I was different. But looking back at my past, I smile. I smile not because it's over; I smile because I look at where I started and see just how far I've come. My family endured a lot of challenges when first coming to this country and not everyone was strong enough to succeed. I want to be different. I know that I am different because unlike others, I never gave up. It wasn't easy and it's not supposed to be but had I have received help or any guidance at all, I know that I would have been able to accomplish so much more. This is my wish, that all young teens regardless of their nationality, background, or past have a chance or opportunity for a better future. I know that everyone has the capability of doing great things in life; they just need a little push.
only thirteen percent of the Hispanic population containedwere in possesion of a bachelor's degree or higher

The majority of Latinos are immigrants and so their daily struggles include poverty, separateddisturbed or incomplete families (why I changed seperated to disturbed is that I felt both seperated sound too close) , poor education, experiences of traumatic events fromhappened in their native lands, and very limited knowledge of English. ------------ this is a good sentence by which you nicely describe the issues faced by Latinos.

To set up a better link with the previous idea, I suggest the following;
ThereforeIt can beLationos find it is a tough challenge for themchallenging to quickly adapt into a new environment and culture in a foreign land and at the same time to become a successful personin life.

However, each day thousands of Latino men and women fight through the criticism and tough situations in an attempttheir bid to reach success. ----- strong idea.... good

At a very young age I too was exposed to traumatizing events which have left their mark upon my family's heart. After experiencing and seeing the effects of these struggles,These real life experiences nurtured my desire offor learning psychology became evident .

but also because of the reactions and spirit of gratitude it brings to others. -------------- this part is a bit confusing for me.... better rephrase it to give your idea more clearly

Through psychology not only have I found an explanation for the behaviors and attributes one possess, but I've found a way to help those in need of healing and escaping as well. ------- I suggest;

My knowledge in psychology iternally came in my help to analyse and understand the root causes for different behaviors and attributes of my people and thereby finding ways to assist those who were desperately in need of psychological support.
stn0795 4 / 11  
:) This is free forum help from volunteer and nice people.
Good luck!

Home / Scholarship / 'the Hispanic population and education' - CHCI Scholarship Essay