a speech on HIV/AIDS - a situation in which you have made a difference

thamusipuma 2 / 2  
The steps towards the podium were probably the most challenging steps I ever took at High school, I was about to face a boisterous audience of over 1000 people and deliver a speech on HIV/AIDS. It was the International Aids Day Public Speaking Competition which was being held in the main city hall of Bulawayo and was organized by the National Aids Council (NAC), a quasi-government organization mandated to promote awareness and advocate for the rights and welfare of people infected by the virus among other goals. The big challenge was not the fact that I was supposed to make a speech but that I was not prepared for such a task. This was because our school had been left out due to unclear circumstances, so this meant I was attending as a spectator not a participant. However as I later learnt one of our schoolmates protested to the organizers who then requested a name.

The second I stepped onto the podium, as if there was some magic spell on the podium, a topic sprung up in my head, it was entitled "I choose to care", This was a speech which I never got the opportunity to present because the competition it was meant for had been cancelled, so it got safely tucked away in the deepest corners of my brain because I had practiced it for a long time. That same moment a wave of confidence hit me and I clung dearly on to it, I could not let it go, I desperately needed to be confident so that I do not mess things for myself and most importantly for my school. I was astonished by the way the audience seemed mesmerized by one of my dusty speeches, it was as if the speech was written for that competition, I was at loss of words I could not believe how I had performed but at the same time relieved that even though it was short notice I was able to represent my school.

After presenting my speech subconsciously I slid into ambivalence, wanting strongly to win but at the same being satisfied by the fact that I had participated. I sat with my schoolmates as we listened to the last speaker from I highly respected school and at that very moment I felt very inadequate, thinking that my speech was not up to standard, dismissing any chance that I could have at the top spot. As the prize winners we being announced I was surprised to know that I got the second prize, that very second when Luveve High school was being called out my heart skipped a bit and I froze I could not help but celebrate with my schoolmates, we had done it for our school. I felt so humble but proud as I was the one who presented the speech, it a huge achievement.

The main purpose of the competition was to further the awareness about the pandemic among young people in the city and as such all prizes were not for individual gain but for the school which was, due to the participation of its students to become a resource center for the young people in the surrounding community. I felt like a sand boy as I collected the prize on behalf of my school and later that day I presented the prize to the teacher responsible for the Aids club and the headmaster. I must mention I felt very important that day, everyone was full of praise and wanted to be associated with the Aids club.

Our participation in the competition was vital for the Aids club at school; we had been good ambassadors for our school and the headmaster was delighted. The victory of my school mearnty that my school got recognition in the city and since then has never been left out of any activity or competitions in the city. It is highly respected and is now one of the major schools in the fight against the spread of the virus especially school children and youths.

Furthermore presentations, speeches and testimonies by participants in the commemorations were an eye opener as I got a new perspective and appreciation on the impact of the pandemic in my local community and country. I learnt first hand stories from people living with HIV, their challenges and hopes for the future among other issues. This was a reality check for me as I saw that it is important for me to participate in community activities and contribute in assisting those infected and affected by the scourge.

My participation in the public speaking competition was very rewarding; however I think that I have learnt a lesson that has future ramifications. Public speaking requires a great discipline and confidence. The confidence I gained from participating in a competition without prior preparation has become a permanent part of my character and the humility I also learnt from people living with HIV will remain a part of me and will surely affect all my future endeavors.
The steps towards the podium were probably the most challenging steps I had ever taken in High school, as I was about to face a boisterous audience of over 1000 people to deliver a speech on HIV/AIDS...

a quasi-government organization mandated to promote awareness of, and advocate for the rights and welfare of people infected by the virus, among other goals.

However as I later learnt one of our schoolmates protested to the organizers who then requested a name.You should elaborate here a little, explain this.

... the competition it was meant for had been canceled , so it got safely tucked away in the deepest...

... it was as if the speech was written for that competition, I was at loss for words I could not believe how I had performed...

I sat with my schoolmates as we listened to the last speaker from a highly respected school, and at that very moment I felt...

... so humble but proud as I was the one who presented the speech, it was a huge achievement.

The victory of my school meant that my school got recognition...

Home / Scholarship / a speech on HIV/AIDS - a situation in which you have made a difference