At home Spanglish, outside English language / continuation of fashion studies

etzileni 1 / -  
1.Study plans to improve foreign languages(Korean, English, etc) required for taking a bachelor's degree course
BEFORE and AFTER you come to Korea.:

At home we spoke Spanish or Spanglish, outside we spoke English, that was one rule we had while living in the states. thanks to English being my first language I have had many opportunities being back in Mexico, like for example November of 2014 I had the opportunity of being a personal translator for the Bahamas amateur cycling and track team, or working at a department store I've also gotten the opportunity to not only help English speaking tourist or workers but I've even had the opportunity to practice my very bad Japanese and Korean (which mostly consisted of introducing oneself, and helping them look for a clothing size or color). going to Korea I hope to continue practicing and making use of my english skills, but most of all I truly hope to master hangul and Korean pronunciation.

Although I was raised bilingual, English will always be my first language, in the many occasions I've moved I learned that every place has its own "language personality", in my 13 years of living in the states I had the had the chance of experiencing both the American city and country life, listening to all kinds of accents, to me it was like living in an alphabet soup where you hear many accents. for example, you don't just get one style of Spanish, but you learn from so many other Latin American's way of speaking.

I was taking one-one Korean classes with a friends husband during vacation where I learned how to read hangul and write basic Hangul, and In mid-august I started a journal where I learn a word a day, which is also something I would do in order to improve my Spanish (mostly to learn how to write and read), so far I have about 30 words, so by January I expect to have a vocabulary of 150+ word. During my first year, like many I will dedicate as much time as possible to gain a great understanding of both the Korean language and culture, I hope to participate in as many cultural activities as possible. If all goes as planned I hope to obtain a TOPIK level 4 or 5 by the end of my first year in Korea. If I was able to learn how to read and write Spanish in less than 3 months, I believe I can do this.

Upon finishing my bachelor's degree in South Korea, I hope to continue practicing and making uses of the Korean I know in both my personal and professional life, and if possible help others learn or practice their Korean.

2. Study plan for a bachelor's degree course (Please state the reason you choose such universities and departments (or majors), your academic goals, specific plans (including timeline) to achieve them, and future plan after completion of your study:

This is actually a plan I started to create in high school and it has been growing in my head over the past years, I love learning and expanding my knowledge and I truly believe that in order to achieve these goals I must work twice as hard, and I hope it'll take about 15-20 years in order to cultivate and expand this project within North and South America, also in five additional years expand the production and clothing line in asia. During my studies I would also like to take on an internships in order to gain a more realistic work experience and prepare for this competitive industry.

-Graduate with honors and a 3.00 GPA minimum in Fashion design.
-Apply and Obtain a scholarship from IED (Istituto Europeo di Design) to continue my studies in fashion merchandising.
-Get a job as a fashion merchandiser or buyer in order to gain experience.
-Set up a workshop in Veracruz specializing in modernizing traditional clothing apparels and make this product more viable for international consumership. (help create better job prospects the locals, and teach others interested in this)

-Obtain another degree Fiber arts/fashion technology in order to expand my project utilizing Mexican tapestry and creating a sustainable fashion using different cellulose fibers, such as bamboo, pineapple & corn, and utilize my knowledge in order to create and use innovative software designs, new production technologies (such as laser cutting and 3D printing etc.)

Daegu, Inha and Kookmin University those are my three choices, I chose these university according to my major and because I felt these universities can help me gain the knowledge I'm seeking and more, that they can teach me the aesthetics of Fashion design but also give me insight on the business and industrial aspects of my career path. Searching for the perfect university isn't easy mostly when it's in the other side of the hemisphere, but I didn't let that stop me I participated in the online fair held by NIIED on the studyinkorea website, I also sent emails to various other universities and read about other international alumni experiences, in order to find the university that could nurture my skills but also feel the most welcoming. As for the major I chose, Fashion Design, at a young age I always loved embroidering, sewing and dyeing cloths, as a child the creative process was very important to me, but as I grew older, I learned that this industry isn't just about creating a statement or expressing oneself but it's a business, a multiBillion-dollar industry and a very competitive at that, apart from my love of DIYing and creating, as I continued to research more about this degree and the industry, I admired how it grows along with our technologies and and scientific discoveries, and that its always finding different ways to expand to innovate, I found myself not just using this as a creative outlet but also wanting to learn more and I felt an urge to participate to compete in this industry.
While you provided quite insightful responses to the given prompts, I feel that you were not able to achieve the correct response for the language plans.You see, you approached the language plans as something that you are taking lightly instead of seriously. I am not sure if you know this but, the reason that the prompt asks you to present your serious plans for learning languages, is because the government will be sponsoring your language learning lessons. Full classes for one year and then some sort of tutorial sessions after. All free of charge. That is why I want you to reconsider what you have written so far.

I can understand why you would not feel a need to concentrate on learning the English language. After all, you already have a pretty good grasp of English having lived in the country for 13 years. Now, since there is no requirement for you to discuss a different foreign language other than Korean, I strongly advise you to skip the reference to your Spanish language background. Concentrate instead on developing your Korean language skills.

You will be required to live in Korea for at leas 5 years after you graduate. During that period of time, you should have some sort of plans to help you reach an almost native speaker proficiency in Korean. This can be done through joining various English-Korean organizations where you can develop your spoken and written Korean skills. Simple things such as widening your Korean based social circle and watching more Koreanovelas are also acceptable language study plans. Working in a Korean company will definitely be up among the acceptable language improvement plans as well.

In your study plan for your bachelor's degree course, you included plans for yourself that do not include a Korean based education. Since you are applying for a Korean government scholarship, you should only concentrate on discussing your bachelor's degree plans based upon a Korean education. Needless to say, you will need to revise the part of your essay that talks of obtaing an IED scholarship and setting up a workshop in Veracruz. If it does not include Korea, it is not something that will help your application.

I would also like to call your attention to your choice of universities. You are expected to not only mention the 3 universities, but discuss in detail, the reasons why you feel that these universities can help you academically. Each university will entail a specific discussion of its curriculum as the basis of your choice.What sets these universities apart? What makes each one special in your opinion? Keep in mind, part of the scholarship requirement is that you will reside and work in Korea for at least 5 years after you graduate. So you are probably going to spend a total of 10 years in Korea. So your study plan should cover 5 years of your academic studies and then after that, the 5 years you will spend as a professional designer in Korea. You can discuss the expansion of your business and setting up of the workshop, even the internship, over the 5 years during which you have set up yourself as a professional in Korea. If you can clearly discuss those points, then your academic and post academic plans should be more obvious in the response.
Miriam, we will slice up your essay per prompt so that we will be able to see where the needed enhancement is.

- I have hada lotmany
- opportunities exercising the language even
- being back in Mexico,
- opportunity of beingto be a personal translator
- I've also gotten the opportunity
- I've even had the opportunity to practice
- my very badbeginner - level Japanese
- G oing to Korea, I hope
- to continue practicing and makingmake use
- of my english skills, but most of all I truly hope to master hangul and Korean pronunciation.

- in the many occasions I've moved and I learned
- states I had the had the chance
- for example,Just like Spanish, you don't just
- get one style of Spanishit either ,

Miriam, I want you to follow through for the next two paragraphs of your essay, reason being, I'm confused at your answer to the prompt. The prompt simply says, what is your study plan in order to learn a second language, I simply put this as, what is your plan of action in order for you to learn a second or any foreign language, I must say, though, that what I get in your essay is that you're mother tongue is Spanish, you lived in the US and from time to time, visits Mexico, this way you both practice, Spanish and English, you consider English your first language because it's what the community is speaking and what your using everyday. Now, all you talk about in your essay is about English and your exercising Spanish in more ways than one, however, this is not what the prompt is asking, you have to write your plans on going and studying in Korea with the hope of mastering the language and putting it into practice. Now you have my thoughts, let us know what yours are by revising this first prompt.

Home / Scholarship / At home Spanglish, outside English language / continuation of fashion studies