Hospital - AAS Supporting statement for applications.

XPROFF 4 / 17 14  
Hello,
I would be grateful for any feedback on these writing.

How have you contributed to solving a challenge and to implementing change or reform?

(Be specific and include: what aspect/s of your leadership knowledge, skills and practice you consider to be well established and effective;

which people or organisations you worked with to solve the problem; and what creative methods were used.)*:

In the xx hospital, the authorization of requesting radiological examination has been a challenge encounter previously until today. The challenges lies within the roles of nurses to recognize and justify patient to undergo radiographic examination considering the risk involve in radiation. In Country xx, the hospital is mostly operated with nurses and it is usual practice for nurses to request for radiographic examination and ultrasound. However, given the scope of knowledge and practice they are not permitted to authorize such examination. As a new radiographer I became aware of the situation. Upon observing such actions I informed my supervisor for immediate consideration. I contributed with ideas and offers suggestion to draft a policy for guideline to address these actions. During the course of such events I began communicate in both handwritten and verbally to the nurses to seek doctors' advises and clinical judgement, I encourage them to adhere to the chain of command and perform within Job description, or seek assistance available. Through this situation I have developed effective communication skill, analytical skills, demonstrate problem-solving skills, critical thinking and knowledge of medico legal issues and policy, and display leadership attributes, and management knowledge. I have worked with my colleagues and hospital health committee to either seek resolution or find alternative options to resolve this challenge. Therefore, to resolve these problems we decided to implement a departmental policy that guides our scope of practice and outline our protocol on health professionals who are authorized to request radiological examination given sufficient justification and clinical history for accurate diagnosis and management. Finally, these mandated policy implemented have reformed our responsibilities and duties to provide efficient and quality health service to our communities today.
Well, as this all happened in a hospital setting, I guess the problem indicated is acceptable. However, there isn't enough explanation to indicate that you truly had a direct hand in developing the solution to the problem. There is a sentence that leaves the reader wondering about some missing aspects in your narration. The sentence " Upon observing such actions I informed my supervisor for immediate consideration." makes it appear that you had made suggestions to resolve the issue prior. However, you did not really do that. There was no sentence that indicated that you thought of a solution then presented the problem, the solution, and comments, to your supervisor. Only then can you use the term "immediate consideration".

You have some time frame reference problems in the essay. Since these are all past events, always use the past tense references in the sentences. Never mix present and past references, it becomes confusing for the reader to keep track of. Overall, the essay just requires a little editing and some clarification for it to become usable. It actually responds to the prompt in a good manner.
OP XPROFF 4 / 17 14  
Thank you very much for your feedback it truly helps.

Home / Scholarship / Hospital - AAS Supporting statement for applications.