Scholarship: How I improve my skills and knowledge through academic plan (Int'l Development)

naritoshi 1 / 1  
Hello everyone!
This is my study plan for the scholarship.
My major is International Development. I tried to write my plan to explain why I chose the course and what I will do with the knowledge after the graduation. Any suggestion or instruction will be a great help!

Thank you so much!

I was fascinated by not only the theoretical courses (Economic of International Development, Policies and Institutions of Development, Domains of Application in Development) but also the specialized curriculum (Project management: Structuring, Negotiating and Managing International Development Projects, Scaling innovations: designing and implementing impactful development programs etc) XXXXX offers. I believe that those courses will give me a great chance to cultivate expertise based on conceptual understanding.

I am pursuing the international development program at XXXXX for three reasons. First, I want to become an expert who has the expertise in the international aid field through the practical centered education. Second, France has a significant influence in international organization and humanitarian aid sector where outstanding XXXXX graduates take brilliant parts. It will be a great asset to me to interact with them during studies. Last but not least, although technical innovation, medical science and political activities can improve health and living conditions, and reduce the social conflicts such as war, those activities, however, need an effective institutional environment which is set up by social scientists who know international affairs precisely. XXXXX is one of the top institutions in the social science sphere.

I was working as an assistant for 2 year to support for Korean government-invited international students. My latest work was voluntary work at the alternative school. The school was built for international students who suffered at local schools from racism, lack of language communication skills. Through the works, I was once more realized the great power of education opportunity because I witnessed these disadvantaged groups who found it difficult to adapt to the unfamiliar circumstances and after they were educated with assistant, their attitudes were completely changed and overcame the difficulties. At the school, I tried to find potential donors, let them know how much such alternative school need in the society, and took part in raising and managing the funds. I did my best to systematize the supporter management system by referring the fund managing training at UN refugee agency in Korea, I, however, was realized that there was a limit as to what I could do only with my passion. I became keenly aware of the need for professional knowledge.

To make up for these weak points I have, I will make the best use of international development major curriculum; analyzing the cases that NPOs/organizations face, the whole process of international aid program (application/ development/ implementation/ evaluation). The curriculum focuses on essential skills in policy and project design and evaluation, finance accounting and applied economics, management and planning methods. I believe that those skills will provide me with the most needed and appropriate knowledge to become a specialist in the international aid field. After graduation, I will use the understanding of the field by the courses and internship program the school offers, to make a practical plan to create a youth refugee education program, and to build an organization for networking NPOs.

In particular, I have to take two parts in concentrations programs during the studies, regional and thematic concentrations. I expect that I can share the point of views as to international and regional affairs with different religion/cultural background peers through regional concentration. In the thematic concentration, I expect to have the opportunity to improve my weak point when I work in the field by practicing the international development program application/operation/examination with team members. Comparing to other graduate schools, it is required to complete plenty of theoretical courses and I believe that with those courses I can broaden my economics knowledge level. Moreover, classes are very unique and ideal because most of them are taught by renowned professors who have actual practical field careers. Additionally, XXXXX runs dual-degree and exchange programs with world-renowned prestige institutions. Through the programs, I expect that I can share various point of views with potential key figures who will work at the international development field in the near future. France has earned a good reputation for the action for humanitarian aids with running numbers of government agencies and effectual budget structure. I am certain that learning the latest French policy and the courses XXXXX offers will get me a foothold to grow.

I have been preparing for studies at XXXXX for years. I worked at the Office of International Student Services at my university for 2 years from my junior year. By the work, I could witness the hardships under-developed country students encounter. After the graduation, I have practical hands-on-background: UNHCR and alternative school for international students in Korea. Except for my major language, Japanese, I have learned English and French consistently because those languages are required for the activity at International organization or working among African countries. What I currently need the most is a 'proper' education to combine both my knowledge and practical application ability. I strongly believe that I can acquire them from the international development major at XXXXX.
mohjawahir 11 / 17  
My major is International Development. I triedlet me suggest to consist using tenses to write my plan to explain why I chose the course and what I will do with the knowledge after the graduation. Any suggestion or instruction will be a great help!

Thank you so much!
OP naritoshi 1 / 1  
mohjawahir, Thank you for your concern.
Please review my essay, that would be more thankful :)
thutyedaniel 32 / 38 17  
Hi @naritoshi :)

I was workeding as an assistant for 2 years to support forto Korean government-invited international students. My latest work was voluntary work at the alternative school. The schoolwhich was built for international students who suffered at local schools from racism, lack of language communication skills.

Home / Scholarship / Scholarship: How I improve my skills and knowledge through academic plan (Int'l Development)