Indonesian-Chinese misunderstandings. AAS: Solving a challenge and implementing change or reform

naalasadan 1 / 1  
Hello everyone, I'm Adan, a graduate of chemical engineering who really wants to take master's in metallurgical engineering, of course by the aid of scholarship. Today I'm going to send my answer for this question. I hope you could give me the best advice to my statement. Thank you in advance

HOW HAVE YOU CONTRIBUTED TO SOLVING A CHALLENGE AND TO IMPLEMENTING CHANGE OR REFORM?

(Be specific and include: what aspect/s of your leadership knowledge, skills, and practice you consider to be well established and effective; which people or organizations you worked with to solve the problem; and what creative methods were used.)*:

I used to work as a quality control analyst at an Indonesian-Chinese company running in hydrometallurgy nickel processing, which majority of supervisors there spoke only in Chinese. This made us, especially Indonesian employees, difficult to fulfil their orders, and sometimes it led to terrible misunderstandings. Despite the fact that there were provided several Indonesian-Chinese translators in each department, there were still issues in translating some engineering or laboratory words, for the translators came from non-science/engineering backgrounds.

I decided to scan numerous Chinese letters, such as words for chemicals and engineering parameters, that were used in the field using Google Translate, then I consulted with the translators and made a list of Indonesian-English-Chinese common words dictionary. Surprisingly, It turned out to be useful to the newcomers who just worked there. However, all the problems had not been solved yet, I moved to the High-Pressure Acid Leaching (HPAL) unit, the heart of the whole production, as a field engineer after working in the laboratory, and almost all Indonesian engineers there could not read and draw process flow diagram properly as they were mostly from material engineering. As I was the only chemical engineering graduate, I acknowledge the process more than them. I conducted a study about the whole process and asked my Chinese supervisor to make sure whether I was correct or not. It was heartwarming to hear my supervisor significantly improving his English in order to make me understand the whole process and to teach me.

After learning from my supervisor in the field and some consultations, I redrew the process flow diagram in the HPAL unit in an easy-to-understand version for Indonesians and taught my Indonesian coworkers the whole process. I am so glad the diagram that I drew has become the guide for Indonesian engineers working there.
This is not a response that accomplishes a notable response to the question. None of the leadership skills or teamwork discussion requirements were addressed. Perhaps it is because of the simplicity of the problem, that the requirements were not met. Language issues, as presented here, do not represent a serious problem in the workplace. I did not really get the impression that you were a true problem solver at the workplace.

When drafting the revision, consider a more impressive and course related scenario. One that addresses leadership and teamwork in a manner that shows a preparedness for working within a diverse setting.

You need to excite the reader. Establish a strong and formidable leadership character in the presentation. Embody the prompt specifics whenever you can.
OP naalasadan 1 / 1  
Wow, thanks for your advice. I didn't expect I would get such a quick response. Actually, the language issues were really problematic and the roots of many conflicts between Chinese and Indonesian, but maybe I couldn't explain it excitingly in an interesting way. I also just realized that I didn't write leadership in my statement, I will put it in my next revision and cut off some unnecessary fillings

Home / Scholarship / Indonesian-Chinese misunderstandings. AAS: Solving a challenge and implementing change or reform