Influencing is a necessary skill for anyone in business, Chevening.........leadership question

Malek 3 / 13 4  
Leadership is the art of influencing others to accomplish a certain task, since then to be a successful leader you have to hold unique traits, such as a good listener, problem solver, inspirer, motivational, networker, good communicator and Innovator.

Influencing is a necessary skill for anyone in business, whether a person is a manager or a salesperson, influencing others is a transferable skill business persons take with them from job to job in the business world. Managers want to convince employees to work hard, and salesmen need to convince clients their product is the best purchase choice.

with over 13 years of work experience, working in several different jobs, 8 of it in sales and marketing, I have developed a strong leadership & influencing skills. First, I was follower and worked as a sales and marketing representative for an advertising agency, my duties was to convince and influence customers to make advertisements for their businesses like posters, flyers and brochures, at the same time I was acquiring new skills and traits from my supervisor.

Then I got promoted to sales and marketing supervisor, at this level, I started leading teams of salespersons, to achieve advertisement sales nationwide then promote the advertising agency services, also, this agency was issuing an advertisement magazine called (Al Wasset), which required field distributors to distribute around 20,000 copies to the public in the whole west bank, this also was under my supervision.

After a while, I worked in an educational institution in Center of Entrepreneurship and Career Development (CECD), this center hosted a project named (Service Learning), funded by The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and implemented by International Youth Foundation (IYF), here my role was to lead the participants and influence them to choose social initiatives, we succeeded to create and execute 13 different initiatives in various topics.

In my current position, at The Palestinian National Center of Occupational Safety, Health and Environmental Protection (COSHEP), which provides Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) services for public and labor market, I am conducting field visits on weekly basis to factories, constructions sites in addition to any workplace.

During the field visits, I talk to the workers about the good and bad OSH practices, giving them advices to keep away from risks, wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), moreover I do influence the employers to maintain their workers by providing them with safe working environment, safe equipment and PPE.

Meeting with motivated leaders and influencers at chevening scholarship, Absolutely will improve my leadership and influencing skills, As an OSH specialist in a position of responsibility, I am planning to use improved leadership and influencing skills in creating and enhancing the national policies regarding OSH, in addition to enhancing working conditions at the national level to save workers lives and production elements.
Malek, concentrate on presenting your 2 most impressive leadership and influencing skills to the reviewer. You don't have to represent all of the work you have been doing over the past 13 years. Not all of the events that you shared were impressive in terms of leadership skills or qualifications. Just be sure to choose the 2 most important leadership examples that you have. If I were to choose the examples for you, I would opt for (1) your work as a sales supervisor. Supervisory roles automatically call for both leadership and influencing actions so you should build on that work experience. Then (2) further expand your role as at the COSHEP. As I reviewed that part, it was quite clear that you are in another position of leadership and influence. Narrowing down the discussion of your experience will allow the reviewer to immediately notice and note your skills in this field. Once you complete the narrowed down essay, I am sure you can use it already.
juviisnino 2 / 3  
@Malek

I would be interested to know more on your role as the sales team and on the influencing participants at the CECD. Maybe you can elaborate more on that and give clearer examples on the way you lead and influence them?
OP Malek 3 / 13 4  
thank you very much for your advises and patience
my best regards

Home / Scholarship / Influencing is a necessary skill for anyone in business, Chevening.........leadership question