Scholarship: inspiration from faure

pcvrz34g 22 / 117  
Describe how a work of art, music, dance, theater, literature, or a person has inspired you.

Conductor Cedel of University of Georgia dragged out a stereo from the storage room. "Listen to Faure's second movement 'La Fileus' from the orchestral suite 'Pelléas et Melisande.' 'La Fileuse' means 'spinner girl' and was written in respect to Faure's teacher Saint-Saens and his symphonic piece 'The Spinning-Wheel of the Omphale.' Listen and we'll discuss." The piece began. In the midst of soft circling movements of the spinning-wheel demonstrated through triple scheme repetitions by the strings, the woodwinds presented a melancholic melody. Later the strings sporadically joined only momentarily for a drawn-out, lethargic effect. The thematic imitations point to an aesthetic workmanship. Faure's "La Fileuse" is a demonstration of not only a spinning wheel but also of life. Never before had I thought music could depict life so vividly until I met Faure through his work of music. The majority of "La Fileuse" is of the triple scheme, mimicking the running spinning wheel and the busy work of the girl. Yet, intermittently, the girl stops to take a stretch as the melody is suddenly stretched like a rubber band, remaining soft but ever so languid.

This epiphany made me reconsider classical music as something that is much like a book; it carries a story, a world, and sometimes, even a moral. The necessity of the listener's will to imagine beyond black dots and stems on lined paper makes music greater in depth. I've learned to not only like music for its melody but also to appreciate music for what each has to offer. Eerie and dark melodies tend to never be on one's favorites list, but nevertheless, such pieces are recognized for its ability to make us feel frighten and develop goosebumps. Music is not about the sounds we hear but rather the imaginations it convenes in its full effect.
In the midst of soft circling movements of the spinning-wheel demonstrated through triple scheme repetitions by the strings, the woodwinds presented a melancholic melody.

Very nice! Your writing is like a symphony, too!

This part confuses me: Conductor Cedel of University of Georgia dragged out a stereo from the storage room. "Listen to...---> It left me so confused about who was saying these words! Can you add a few words to tell the reader who is saying this? Or, you might want to omit the quote, because I think the rest of the paragraph is so powerful.

This epiphany made me reconsider---> when you say this, are you talking about the way she acted out the stretching sound? If so, I think you should specify that for the reader. This experience made me understand the profundity of expressing one concept through both sound and movement. This epiphany made me reconsider...

:-)
OP pcvrz34g 22 / 117  
yay thank you kev!! you always help me improve my essays! :D

Home / Scholarship / Scholarship: inspiration from faure