My interest in capital markets, banking and finance, second master's degree - Chevening

iceman2017 4 / 5  

Chevening - Three University Courses

My initial interest in capital markets and finance started with taking up subjects in Mathematics of Finance and Financial Research during my undergraduate studies. One takeaway I had was how capital markets and banks contribute to the economic growth by allowing businesses to grow thereby creating employment opportunities. How capital markets and banks operate and interact within the economy is the reason why I was keen on working for a bank after graduation. However, my career path took a different turn when I landed a job as Bank Supervisor at the xxx. Though I was not able to do banking and capital market operations, doing the regulatory side has been a challenging and fulfilling job. Having a say on how should banks and capital markets operate and seeing its favorable impact on people's lives and the overall economy as a whole made me realize how I made a wise decision to be a public servant for my country.

My continued interests lead me to take up my first master's degree in Finance. In one of our subjects, Financial Sector Regulation and Ethics, I was able to produce four policy papers and one research paper all subjects concerning the banking industry. My research paper focused on the determinants of rural bank failures in the xxx setting.

Taking up my second master's degree will strengthen my knowledge of banking and capital markets with an international perspective as the United Kingdom is considered as the world financial center. My schools of choice are as follows:

My first choice is MSc Capital Markets, Regulation and Compliance from the University of Reading. I chose this course because I considered it the most relevant to my undergraduate and master's degree as well as my current job. This course will broaden my understanding of financial risk-taking, accountability and governance as the specialized course has focus on regulation and compliance. In addition, I plan to validate findings on my research paper on my first master's degree with data set coming from the United Kingdom and possibly apply the findings in the xxx setting.

The second choice is MSc Banking, Regulation and Financial Stability from the University of Bristol. I chose this course because it focuses on banking regulation, supervision, compliance and risk management. All aspects to be studied are relevant to my work as a Bank supervisor. The knowledge that I will gain from course will broaden my skillset as a regulator.

My last choice is MSc Finance and Banking from the University of Brighton. I chose this course to further improve my knowledge on banking and finance. Since I did not have first-hand experience on banking and capital markets operations, taking up the course would address any gaps I have encountered in my role as a regulator.

Overall, all three course would provide me the needed the knowledge and skills to advance my career as a public servant in the xxx.
bmKimmy 3 / 4 1  
Having a say on how should banks and capital markets operate

Your opening paragraph lays a good foundation that connects very well with the courses that you have chosen. Your essay has a good flow to it and I think you have explained your course choices clearly relating them to your current profession. See other comments below:

Having a say on how should banks and capital markets should operate

My continued interests lead led me to ...

... one research paper *** all subjects ... - Something seems to be missing where I've put the ***

... is considered as the world world's financial center centre.

... I will gain from this course will broaden my skillset skill set as a regulator.

Overall, all three course courses would provide...
Leophil, there is something missing in each course choice that you present. There is only an implied use in the future for the course. There is no reference to either an academic background relevant to the course or a professional experience that works towards convincing the reviewer that this course has an actual application in your line of work. You may want to reconsider the presentation that you have at the start that indicates that this is your second masters degree. Try to shorten the opening somehow so that you can focus on delivering the foundational discussion of each course as required by the prompt. Right now, all you are doing is "indicating a possible" use based on your undefined skill set in relation to the job. There is no definitive use in your workplace. It appears that these courses will just increase your theoretical knowledge without any proper practical application. That is the main problem with the presentation.

Home / Scholarship / My interest in capital markets, banking and finance, second master's degree - Chevening