Unanswered [7] / Urgent [0] / SERVICES

Scholarship Posts: 8

As an international coordinator I established different networks of people I've been working with.

OlyaD 1 / 4 1  
Dear all,
I'll appreciate all your advices. Thank you!

Networking essay for Chevening scholarship

Chevening is looking for individuals with strong professional relationship building skills, who will engage with the Chevening community and influence and lead others in their chosen profession. Please explain how you build and maintain relationships in a professional capacity, using clear examples of how you currently do this, and outline how you hope to use these skills in the future.

Working as an international coordinator of internships means involves constant communication with diverse groups of people. For more than 4 years I established different networks of people I've been working with.

First of all, they are interns who applied for international internships with my help. I always keep in touch with interns, even with those who finished their intenships. It's important to support them at the beginning of their journey, as many of them don't know what to expect. While others, who finished they internships, don't know what to do next and how to manage their obtained experience.

This is a bilateral learning for both them and myself. Regarding my professional skill, I learn from the experience and feedback of interns not less than they learn during internship. Such a vital information assirt my futher work with future interns.

Futhermore, working with international companies which accept interns means communication with managers of these companies.
Establishing of contacts with international partners is essential part of my job. During my work I made more than 30 long-term partnerships.
It's to mention that they are more than just partners to me. They are leaders who I respect and learn from. They are successful entrepreneurs who I ask for advice and appreciate to work with.

maedeh93 2 / 7 1  
Olga,
You should add a paragraph to your essay, talking about how chevening network will be beneficial for you, your profession and your country.It is also needed to prove your ability to use your contacts to achieve a positive outcome or influence. They don't want to know about the help you gave to others or the number of people you worked with. Your ability to connect properly with others in order to walk toward your desirable path of future is important.
Holt [Contributor] - / 7,180 1785  
Olga, this is not a networking essay. Assisting interns with their international applications does not qualify as a networking skill. Keeping in touch with interns, nope, not a networking skill either. A networking skill is best explained as the ability of the applicant to handle office situations that require the use of external contacts, assistance, and involvement. A network signifies a series of out of office relationships that help you in accomplishing your difficult work tasks.

Your networking experience does not reflect any of that. You are not establishing a believable network in this essay. In fact, there is no network indicated except contact with your interns who don't exactly have any use in the performance of your tasks. This is an extremely irrelevant essay that, should it be submitted for consideration as a networking essay, could very well void your scholarship application.

in order to fix this problem, refer to the sample networking essays here. Learn what sort of networking information is considered important, notable, and useful in the strengthening of your application. You will find that there is a need to delete this essay and come up with a new one that better represents an actual working network for your within your profession.
OP OlyaD 1 / 4 1  
Please review the new one.

Working as an international coordinator of internships means constant communication with diverse groups of people. For more than 4 years I established different networks of people I've been working with....
Holt [Contributor] - / 7,180 1785  
Olga, this is still a leadership and influencing essay. It is not a networking essay because the discussion shows how you took charge of a situation, designed a solution, and then implemented it. You then faced an obstacle that you had to overcome through discussion and an exchange of ideas. These are clear leadership and influencing skills, not networking skills. I have tried to define what networking is to you but it seems you did not understand the definition I provided. I guess the only thing that I can do at this point is to try to show you a sample of an effective networking essay from a current applicant.

The way this essay is presented showcases the correct discussion points that you should work towards emulating. Until you can understand the difference between networking and the leadership and influencing essay requirements, you will keep writing the wrong essay for the networking prompt.
OP OlyaD 1 / 4 1  
Merged:

Becoming a Chevening scholar will help me to further develop my network.

In November 2017 I was one of the participants at SMM and Digital Marketing conference, that was held in... city. The reason why I decided to take part in it is the necessity of marketing skills required at my work. I was interested in developing my knowledge of SMM, since I work as an coordinator of international internships. My daily responsibilities include using social media networks to involve new interns, to share internship opportunities with them. Today, in a digital world, it's impossible to ignore Instagram, Facebook and other social media tools. Therefore, participation in such a useful conference was important for my professional growth.

The conference lasted 7 days, included workshops and lections of the following topics: advertising for business, social media marketing, tips for copywriters, content managers. Things that I've learned at this conference were incredibly useful. I applied every tip in practice of my company. I plunged in it with so much engagement, that I was nominated as the best participant of this conference.

Moreover, I met professionals of SMM from other cities. One of them, the owner of SMM agency from ... city, contacted me after couple of weeks. She asked me for help with her new project with foreign client. The client was a manager of English school, who tried to enter Russian market. The reason why she decided to contact me was my impressive experience with international companies, advanced level of English, and great performance during the SMM conference. We've been working together on this project for a month approximately. Within this month I've learned a lot about SMM and had an opportunity to practice new skills. While my colleague successfully closed the case with my help.

Becoming a Chevening scholar will help me to develop network further. It will be an honor to participate in different conferences, seminars and workshops during my study, to be helpful for other students and professionals.
bowls 4 / 7 2  
@OlayD, the first and second paragraphs do not tell the reviewers anything about your professional networking skills - you only mentioned in the first paragraph why you attended the conference, and in the second paragraph what you have learned. You said 'Therefore, participation in such a useful conference was important for my professional growth.', you should further explain what professional growth that is (since this is a networking essay, it should link to networking growth). If I were you, I would start from the third paragraph by emphasising the network you have built, how the network helped you and what your contribution was/is to this network. Hope it helps. Good luck with the application.
Holt [Contributor] - / 7,180 1785  
Olga, there are only a few sections of this essay that you can use for this essay to create another version of your networking essay which can be used as the foundation for your next draft. The parts that you can use are:

- In November 2017 ... that was held in... city.
- I met professionals of SMM from other cities. One of them, the owner of SMM agency from ... city, contacted me after couple of weeks. ... closed the case with my help.

Do not get confused you can only use the specific portions I indicated above. The ellipses mark the other parts of the text that should be included but are not stated in the presentation. From this point, what you have to show is how the SIMM network worked in your favor as well. Depict its importance on a national scale so that you can prove that this is a network worthy of note to Chevening. Right now, the essay is still very weak because of the singular network reference. I am trying to help you strengthen it by showing a 2 way street (usage) for the network. You also need to better highlight how you nurture your existing networks.

Frankly speaking you need to present between 2-3 network examples in this essay but it seems that you have only 1 networking sample to provide, which is extremely weak and could very well be the reason why your application gets rejected.

Home / Scholarship / As an international coordinator I established different networks of people I've been working with.