Essay about how international education will impact on your artwork and goals

A Shahbazin 1 / -  
SCAD International Student Scholarship
A limited number of scholarships are awarded each year to degree-seeking international students who apply and are accepted to SCAD. To be considered for an international student scholarship, applicants should meet or exceed normal admission standards and must request scholarship consideration by submitting a 500-word essay explaining how an international education would influence their artwork, goals and experiences.

My Essay:
Dear Scholarship Committee:
As an architecture student the main controversial Issue which I faced and shocked with it in the first terms in my university as a sample of Iran architecture atmosphere was Identity which lies at the root of nationality and architectural history. In most western countries there is a comprehensive continuity in the architectural design philosophy while in my country Iran as an under developing country there is a gap between our traditional architecture and our current situation which is filled with imported modernization shock rather than normal procedure so Iran contemporary architecture is confronted with confused mixture of tradition, modernism , post modernism and etc.at the same time so I could hardly find a direct correlation between past and our contemporary situation as a logical step there is a unbridgeable historical gap which always bothered me all these years.

Once I have participated in a lecture by the award winner architect of Mellat Cinema Gallery the brash modern building which was constructed recently in my country. During the lecture he was severely criticized that he neglected our traditional architecture policies and after long running intense debate he answered: 'my only priority is creativity, not identity'. I was really disappointed by both sides since they were unable to observe their policies.

Having an appropriate perspective on essence of Identity in architecture most of the time remained akin to an inaccessible utopia for me in my student projects and researches. I also tried to find theories about identity beyond architecture in subjects such as literature, philosophy, mythology and history but there was turning point for me when I have participated in anthropology and culture weekly free meetings and in one lecture by Prof. Nasser Fakohie (Headmaster of Sociology and Anthropology Department of University of Tehran) which the subject was 'Iranian identity and global culture'. I was interested in his theory that our historical traditions could not be omitted and it could not be idolized since the only way to preserve the customs is to be critical about them as an intellectual approach in order to create dynamic traditions and the fundamental principles of this criticism could be found in contemporaneous global policies and achievements so I fathomed that the answer is not in nationalism it is in internationalism while it could be a formidable task in under developing countries which ruled by monolithic governments that some of them want to intimidate their people into global connection and illustrate culture for them as a solid subject to control it with rigid boundaries.

The rationale behind that why I want to have international education and how it will impact my goals is to grasp the global and western cultural values to recognize the both side my national traditions and international values better due to mobilize my culture throw architecture also I am inclined to believe that Iran architectural contemporary problematic situation could not be solve by one person but I hope it could be solve person by person and I could be one of those.
anshita 2 / 4  
good writing
As an architecture student, the main controversial Issueissuewhich I faced and shocked with it in the first terms in my university as a sample of Iran architecture atmosphere was Identity which lies at the root of nationality and architectural history. ... this sentence is too long and the latter part is very confusing. Try to express your ideas in shorter sentences. This you need to rephrase!

Home / Scholarship / Essay about how international education will impact on your artwork and goals