The Internet: Today's Evolution or Tomorrow's Menace

Nisha170 1 / -  
Our world today is characterized by efficiency from minor things to making coffee in the morning to determining the most effective and aerodynamic structure for a common day fuselage. Now imagine our world, one that strives for efficiency, without Internet. I wouldn't guarantee that efficiency would overcome simplicity in a world where communication is scarce and a source of information is uncommon. The dilemma at our hand is that people do not acknowledge the fact that even though the Internet might help with our coffee in the morning to flying across the Atlantic, the Internet is also the main contributor to social and personal chaos and society's demise.

Social networking websites are the most visited websites on a daily basis. Posting all your information on your profile puts your own security and private information online. Numerous sites, such as Facebook and MySpace, exist so that people can communicate with everyone from different countries. Here is the most surreptitious thing you might not know about the people on social networking sites: They are using pictures and uploading them to porn sites. A picture of you stolen by porn site creators for their website puts your privacy at risk. Remember once it is on the internet, it stays there forever; leaving a mark behind.

Cyberstalking, put plain and simple, is harassment in the Internet Age. Paul Bocij defined it as harassing a person with technology. When a cyberstalker targets a victim, the outcomes can be include emotional and mental harm, physical and sexual assault, kidnapping, or even murder. The case of John Edward Robinson, known as the Slavemaster, murdered five women he met through the Internet. He contacted women who might be agreeable to act as "sex toys". Two women from Texas stated that he had been brutal and he had stolen their sex toys, so they charged him with sexual harassment and theft. Investigators search his house for the toys, but they ended up finding bodies of the murdered women hidden in barrels. The Internet isn't a safe place anymore; it puts your security at risk.

Our over-reliance on the Internet is heading nowhere but down a road that leads to a dark abyss. Our reliance on the internet has engraved undesirable characteristics in our human character that makes the human race very lethargic. Many of my peers, myself included, display a negative behavior of over reliance on the internet. Possibly our teachers favorite maxim, don't leave your work till last minute, is a warning to all of us to correct our erroneous behavior of being too reliant on the interne

The Internet is unregulated and gains more power every day. Internet users are now in the state of quandary. We know the Internet will not get safer, infact people' privacy will invaded day by day. There is nothing to do about out, but use it wisely because it will damage your computer and put your self in danger. John Allen Paulo emphasizes how people are using The Internet wrongly, "The Internet is the world's largest library. It's just that all the books are on the floor." Just remember one thing: the Internet is unstoppable.

I have to play around with this essay. SO if anyone could help me out, it would be really appreciated
syookhong 7 / 21  
Our world today is characterized by efficiency from minor things to making coffee in the morning

Our world today is characterized by efficiency of minor things, from making coffee in the morning,
Our world today is characterized by efficiency -- from minor things, such as making coffee in the morning, to exploits as grand as determining the most effective and aerodynamic structure for a common day fuselage.

Now imagine our world, one that strives for efficiency, without Internet.

The person who reads this may not have to imagine! S/he may be twice your ge and able to easily remember the years before the Internet was such a big factor. In general, it is not good to call on the reader to reflect on something (i.e. Imagine a world..."). It is better to write in the first person perspective I imagine that the world was...

This essay has some logical flaws, and it asks the reader to accept as truth some very weak claims. For example, people hae committed heinous crimes since long before the advent of the Internet. It is a logical flaw when you blame the Internet for what criminals have done with it.

The dilemma at our hand is that people (what people, all people?) do not acknowledge the fact (you cannot state as fact something that is as ambiguous as this) that even though the Internet might help with tasks ranging from making our coffee in the morning to flying across the Atlantic, the Internet is also the main contributor to social and personal chaos and society's demise.------ a contributor to chaos and demise?

at the end of this paragraph, I have already decided that this essay is written by someone who has a warped view. I'm sorry to be critical!!

I think you should read some strong arguments to see what a strong argument consists of. There is no substitute for reading strong arguments.

If I could find a strong argument that the Internet is going to cause society's demise, I would refer you to it as an example, but since I cannot, I will refer you to this article, which makes a strong argument

lawreview.stanford.edu/content/vol58/issue3/steiker.pdf

In a strong argument, the writer does not say anything that is unsubstantiated, because she does not want her credibility compromised.

:-) good luck!!!

Home / Scholarship / The Internet: Today's Evolution or Tomorrow's Menace