The Introvert - SEAYLP Application: Why is participation in this program important to you?

notngoc 1 / -  

Topic: Why is participation in this program important to you? (250 words)

Growing up as an introvert, I became painfully aware of how limited and scarce opportunities exist for the reserved and timid in Vietnam. When referring to leadership, most people connect strong leaders with gregarious, vivacious, and vocal individuals. For a long time, I embraced and strongly engraved this concept in my head, hesitant to take the lead on any activities.

It wasn't until this year that I decided to go out and apply for leadership positions. My desire to break the mold led me to NGUOCamplify, a youth empowerment organization, where I am now the head of content distribution. Organizing youth camps in all three regions of Vietnam made me realize how much I want to give back to the youth community and bring the introverted and impoverished to the forefront to showcase their skills. And in order to do so, I must be a trailblazer, a pioneer who sheds light on the bleak reality that introverts cannot lead.

To accomplish that scenario, however, I must stretch my wings and dream bigger; so, participating in SEAYLP is the first step toward my goal. Not only can I improve my leadership skills and prepare to organize more young empowerment programs in the future with the support of well-organized and detailed leadership training courses, but I can also solicit comments and solutions to the unresolved problem from all ASEAN friends. Most significantly, I hope that my involvement in SEAYLP will inspire other young peers to step outside of their comfort zone and face new difficulties.
This is a personal reason that definitely helps add a different touch to the application. However, this cannot be the only reason you wish to join the program. You need to have several valid and program related reasons. These may include multiple leadership focus points including environmental sustainability, economic and diplomatic security, diversity, equity and inclusion.

Why does the program require these interests in their candidates? They are looking for that one stand-out youth leader in each of the 50 countries involved. As future leaders, their focus must be on social and moral development alongside local and international diplomacy. For some reason, this essay does not touch on your involvement in any of these causes. Your reason is more self-centered instead of self-less. That is what makes you a weak applicant.

Home / Scholarship / The Introvert - SEAYLP Application: Why is participation in this program important to you?