Journey of self-discovery - personal importance to you ~ NTU scholarship

aloyxius 1 / -  

we cannot be truly defined

Entering high school, I stopped believing in myself. In class, I was surrounded by all-rounders who excelled in almost every aspect. However, I was just a student who didn't have much to offer other than my top grades.

Once, my school put up a drama production. I wanted to prove myself to my friends, so I signed up as a technical crew but was the only one that was rejected. This rejection became a joke to them. They reassured me that "it was just a joke", yet I still considered those words true. Ever since, I began isolating myself and never volunteered for any performances. My insecurities engulfed me. During my vulnerable times, I cried because I felt like I was going in circles. I contemplated giving up.

My parents, who first noticed my change, reached out to me and said, "Don't let others define who you are. Your worth isn't established on someone's inability to see your value." After hearing that, I was determined to start redefining myself. I challenged myself to engage in new things like basketball and dancing. From there, I slowly gained confidence in myself. The greatest breakthrough for me was performing on stage, and it boosted my self-esteem. Furthermore, I joined various school activities, such as the Science Discovery Challenge at the national level. I also volunteered at the Kuching Heritage Race and built houses in rural areas. Through these events, I gained a sense of accomplishment and ultimately, I was able to achieve the prestigious Model Student award in college.

On this journey of self-discovery, I realised that as human beings, we cannot be truly defined. There will always be the devil whispering, but instead of succumbing to it, I will face it whole-heartedly and overcome the limitations set by none other than myself.

Any feedback given is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
This is an essay about your discovery of self worth. It would be better if you are able to reflect upon that self worth as realization of your capacity as a person who can help others. While the extra curricular activities that you shared such as basketball and performing on stage are nice to read, it does not carry the same impact as your helping to building houses and winning in the Science Discovery challenges. If I were writing this essay, I would make sure to highlight how I came to understand my self worth through these notable activities, having progressed from my previous failures and sense of self doubt, as these are 2 activities that you participated in which will allow you to become a more competitive scholarship candidate.

Home / Scholarship / Journey of self-discovery - personal importance to you ~ NTU scholarship