"a journey of thousand miles" begins with a simple step - Personal Statement (Scholarship Korea)

Recart 1 / -  

studying to become a Language teacher

"천 리 길도 한 걸음부터." A proverb derived from China that means a journey of thousand miles begins with a simple step. This step I am making now is the result of a need for education that in my country I can not get. The constant growth of the economy of Asia is changing the way we view the world and knowing East Asian languages is becoming a must in some curriculums. As I am studying for being a Language teacher, I am in the obligation of following the needs of this next generation.

I enter the University in 2018 in a double degree program that allowed me to teach any language I could learn in the future, in that way, I would be able to fulfil the needs of my students and the country. I worked for a whole year as a part-time teacher assistant before entering University, and I am entirely sure that teaching languages are what I want to do for a living. My parents support my idea, even when being a teacher in my country is not well seen by society. With my grades and my score in the University Selection Test, the study options were vast, but teaching is my passion.

This enthusiasm for learning and teaching languages do not come from anywhere. I learned English by myself, using the internet as a tool for connecting with native speakers. The flow of new information and the people that I meet all over the world thanks to that new language, showed me the reason why I should share this knowledge with more people. Recently, I started learning Japanese and Korean while trying to reproduce the same method I used with English. One of the most challenging parts of learning a language is to speak it, so I believe this chance of going to South Korea would allow me to get a natural and native pronunciation.

My biggest goal is to open an East Asian language and culture academy, to open the possibility of study languages for more people. I was born is a family that raised from poverty, and that teach me that chances do not come on their own, so you need to get out and find them. Since in my country, we do not have any undergraduate program about Asia, I would like to take this chance to learn about the languages of this continent and the cultures. After all, Asia is the future of the economy of the world, and if the people of my country want to insert themselves in this new globalized world, they need to learn an East Asian language.

IT IS MY FIRST TIME WRITING A PERSONAL STATEMENT
I do not know how to write sounding "personal", so I need a little bit of help. Also English is not my first language, so it is kind of difficult to write in the language something that is this important.
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@Recart
Hi there. Welcome to the forum. I hope you find this feedback helpful for your writing endeavors.

I find that the first paragraph is quite decent already. I would suggest trying to improve your writing in order to incorporate more writing techniques such as omitting unnecessary lines and ensuring that you have a more compact essay. You can easily determine what to revise depending on how you approach the writing of the content. If you have lengthy portions, you can opt to separate them into smaller chunks. If a line has two distinguishable sentences, you can opt to write the two.

Be more specific when you are writing. Your last paragraph has so much potential. You could have maximized the space you have put here if only you had focused more on providing more specific information for your writing.

Home / Scholarship / "a journey of thousand miles" begins with a simple step - Personal Statement (Scholarship Korea)