MY JOURNEY AS AN UPCOMING YOUNG LEADER IN KENYA

jojizo 1 / -  
Chevening is looking for individuals who will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

(minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

Kindly, make any necessary recommendation as well as correction, including how to shorten it to below 500 words since its is slightly above 500 word, precisely it is 513 words

kindly correct and give any necessary recommendations. kindly suggest on how to reduce the content since it maximum is 500 words yet mine is 512 words

Quality Assurance officer

Leadership is a talent, and talents are to be natured. For a leader, he is supposed to know the challenges and threats and be capable of taking advantage of opportunities and abilities, thus, success will only be achieved if he knows well his team and his environment. However, prolific leaders, go after more challenging goals, positively influencing actions, thoughts, attitudes and embracing further aspects of success. Emulating character of the great leaders, continuously, I have practiced and developed these concepts in my leadership experiences.

Having had a rare opportunity in my village to be one of the students to gain a financially subsidized entry to the university, this was as a result of the exemplary performance at high school level of being the best student in my area at that time. This was a revolutionary act of leading by example. A change in perception of how my fellow youths viewed education and its success through motivational speaking mainly in schools, social gatherings and even a volunteer in Lilloch High School as an untrained teacher.

Despite having a financial subsidy during my undergraduate, my parents still had challenges of raising my fees, together with my classmate whom I introduced this Idea but was adamant at first, due to the fact that we had low starting capital and strict laws that no business within the school premises, we managed to start a small business of supplying eggs to local retailers around campus. With all those conditions, the business still managed to thrive, which helped me raise the remaining part of my fee. From this, I greatly appreciate because I managed to solve a problem at that time (financial problem) but in the course I greatly enhanced my entrepreneurial and business management skills.

In academics, leading a group of six, we submitted a group-project entitled as, " Causes of Exam Cheating and Associated Factors among Undergraduate Students: A case study of Moi University main campus". This was after convincing them of the importance of that topic to the students and the education system among other proposed topics. After research, we recommended lots of reforms in combating the same, to ensure sustenance of a good education system. With this, we emerged the best group with the best accepted result which was then forwarded to the administration for implementation.

As new Quality Assurance officers employed at KCA University, the huge workload we found which had duly accumulated and was at a critical time when the institution was to be assessed by the external Quality Assurance. Being in charge of the team in that office, we embarked on pro-activeness and working beyond the normal working hours in order to beat the deadline which was almost. On evaluating the situation, I requested an additional personnel if we were to finish in time. The Human Resource manager was quite adamant due to logistics, thus after persuasion, we settled on a temporary departmental shift of a work study student. With this addition, we were able to finish in time and the institution was able to conform to the International Standards Organizations.
George, your first 4 paragraphs are irrelevant to the essay. Once you remove those paragraphs, your word count will go down to almost the minimum. That reduction will allow you to replace the incorrect information with more appropriate data coming from your being a Quality Assurance Officer at KCA University. Word of advice though, while you can use this final paragraph as the opening statement for your new essay, you will need to use first person pronouns and make sure that you refer only to your leadership and influencing actions within the group.

From the way you are talking in the current paragraph, it sounds more like you are a subordinate working on instructions rather than you giving orders and your subordinates accomplishing them. You need to make sure that this is a real and true leadership experience because Chevening will be checking up on all your claims within your essay. So if this is not a true experience, they will definitely find out. Additionally, the leadership experience that you are relating is too shallow and doesn't seem to really require the sort of decision making and influencing skills that would impress a world class reviewer like the person that reviews the Chevening essays.

You need to portray a pivotal point during your career as a leader when you were called upon to do something that was intricate or complicated and verged on being a failure. If you can successfully explain how you overcame the obstacles through your relationship with your team, then you will have an acceptable leadership and influencing reference in your essay.

As of now, this essay will not compete. It is not qualified for consideration because of the simplicity of the content. Review the work experience of the other Chevening applicants that have asked me to review their essays. Those are your competitors and they were able to come up with more comprehensive and impressive leadership and influencing experience. Their essays should be the template for your revision.

Home / Scholarship / MY JOURNEY AS AN UPCOMING YOUNG LEADER IN KENYA