KGSP undergraduate - International Relations Scholarship in South Korea

Nonamura 1 / 2  
Good Morning/Evening/Night! I am looking for someone who can give me some piece of advice about how I am doing with my essay. This are the prompts:

Motivations with which you apply for this program
- Family and Education background
- Significant experiences you have had; risks you have taken and achievements you have made, persons or events that have had a significant influence on you

- Extracurricular activities such as club activities, community service activities or work experiences
- If applicable, describe awards you have received, publications you have made, or skills you have acquired, etc.

scholarship application - answer for questions provided

In my country, the opportunity to study something related to the relationship between nations is almost nonexistent. For that reason, my chances of learning about this area, reside in going abroad to pursue my studies. Life has taught me that opportunities do not come by themselves, so you need to go out and find them. Furthermore, being able to study abroad would give me habilities and challenges that a classroom can not provide and push my career and myself to a higher level.

My interest in International relations started in high school when I took classes based in International Politics and Economical Trade. Since my options to study this area in my country were not available, I entered to a double degree program of English and Education instead. Even if it was not what I wanted in the first place, I decided to take advantage of what this career has to offer. I learned how to endurance the difficulties of having university classes in a language that is not my mother tongue, and how to interact with different cultures since a significant portion of my professors come from all over the world. I considered that this time at the University gave me a new space to evolve my self-study ability, that I had been developing all my life.

My parents had always tried to encourage me to learn and develop my abilities without help. That led me to learn English to a B2 level in one year, and later start working as a private teacher for young kids. My parents, besides, introduced me to community service. My father as a part of the Rotary Club gave me chances to participate in different activities, such as preparing school supplies and bicycles for kids of low income, help in orphanages of people with disabilities, and provide food and clothes for the people affected by the forest fires that occurred in my country in 2017. These activities that I mention, for me, do not just mean a part of a curriculum. Moreover, they are one more step to be able to develop myself in different contexts and realities, and in that way, being able to contribute in different areas that society needs. That indeed increased my interest in public relations.

I consider that the most determinant factor for a successful study of politics and cultures is to be able to understand in an in-deep level how a country works and immerse yourself in a new language to see the world in a different perspective. South Korea is known for its educational competitivity and continuously developing society and economy; hence, I considered it as the ideal country to pursue the career that my country can not provide me.

This scholarship represents a lot of new challenges and changes; however, it also means not only developing myself as a professional but also as a person. South Korea is an opportunity I can not let go. Being able to understand the interactions between nations would allow me to help with the growth of my underdeveloped country and its relations with the world. Moreover, in the future, forge stronger ties between South Korea and my country.
ochanlebong7 2 / 3  
Hi @Nonamura, I guess that you have to change your second paragraph,
you have a lot of description about the advantage of your English ... Class.
The question asks you about the reason why do you choose this program.
you have to put any powerful reasons to be selected one.

I hope it could be helpful,
OP Nonamura 1 / 2  
Dear @ochanlebong7
The reason I wrote about it, was because I want the judges to know I have what is needed to be the perfect candidate. I already now how demanding the University can be, even more, I know how it is to have all my classes in another language that is not my mother tongue. It also helped me to understand new cultures and ways of thinking, so I am capable of respect cultural shocks that I can have living in Korea.

I do not know if I expressed that correctly on the paragraph.

Home / Scholarship / KGSP undergraduate - International Relations Scholarship in South Korea