Knowledge advancement - how to approach this Scholarship application question?

AmanGo 1 / -  

Masters in Data Science scholarship

Hi everyone. I am applying for scholarship to do Masters in Data Science. Please could someone help me to at least give some ideas so that I can expand in order to approach this question. I am including my own ideas below the question. But I am afraid it is not sufficient.

How will your studies at the University X contribute to the advancement of knowledge in your chosen field of study? Is the University X your first choice? If so, please explain why. How would the scholarship improve your commitment and contribution to the degree program?

- I will develop new practical solution to a problem during my master thesis using my expertise gained in master studies
- I will promote the degree program and attract high potential, talented students from my local university in my country as this area is not
developed in my country. I can arrange a meeting with those students giving introductory lectures and try to encourage interested students to apply for this program.

- This university is my first choice because the curriculum perfectly suits my professional goals. It allows me to focus on several areas which are interested to me. There is a research centre for Artificial Intelligence which applies AI to companies and provides career opportunities in this field for students in those companies. Also this is the great opportunity to network with people interested in this field.

I have no idea how to approach the last question. My financial situation does not allow me to do this degree also I need to support my family during my studies. I really need this scholarship. Should I include this? But it seems this is not relevant information. Thanks a lot for any help.
annanthaayu 7 / 12 4  
In my opinion, in order to approach the last question, your last answer is completely good. However, you can explain more detail in some aspect. For example, you said "because the curriculum perfectly suits my professional goals". Please try to mention what is the curriculum that suits you and what is your professional goals, then explain it. You also said "It allows me to focus on several areas which are interested to me", you can mention what is area that interested to you and explain to more detail. I hope this can be useful. Goodluck!
For the first question, you need to approach it from a 5 year career plan consideration. Think about the educational requirements that you need to have to function properly and achieve your career goals over the short term. These will constitute you academic requirements. These academic requirements are what you should use to compare your goals and objectives with that of the university. Additionally, you may consider the academic curriculum and training programs offered as part of the masters course and discuss how these will be relevant to your field of study. These should be the main focus of the first question.

The second question needs you to respond directly. If this is your only choice university then say so and explain why that happened. If this is not the only university choice you have, then you will have to explain your university criteria when it comes to choosing the universities you will apply to. If you are applying for admission to a university overseas, explain why you cannot attend a masters course of a similar kind in your own country.

As for the third question, you definitely need to discuss your current financial situation in relation. That is not optional, that is not trivial. That is required and is of the utmost importance in this application essay. The problem, is that you say you need to support your family during your studies. That will prove to be trying because a scholarship student is normally not allowed to work during the duration of the academic year. The scholarship cannot be expected to support your family for you either. It would be best to skip that part in the presentation since the scholarship does not come with a work opportunity. The financial situation of your family in relation to your studies would be relevant to the discussion but the fact that you need to support your family financially is not the problem of the scholarship foundation.

Home / Scholarship / Knowledge advancement - how to approach this Scholarship application question?