"Knowledge is power", said Sir Francis Bacon; Personal Stament -SCHOLARSHIP

KYOAAA 6 / 20 1  
When I was three, I learned read and write. Meanwhile, I showed great talent for math and was able to calculate some arithmetic problems. Later, as an elementary school student, I used to spend a lot of time solving math problems and learning advanced math knowledge. As Sir Francis Bacon once said, "Knowledge is power,", knowledge can not only change my life, but also change the world. Therefore, knowledge is important to me. I wanted to use my knowledge to change the world.

My interest for physics developed when I was in high school. I organized a group to research on physics. We not only discussed theoretical problems, but also investigated into practical problems. In my Junior year, I discussed with some group members about how we could apply kinematic theory to analyze the factors of car accidents and provide feasible solutions to avoid the tragedies. We decided to do a project on it. First, there are ten people in our group. I arranged three people to search and collect information, two people to analyze and write a summary, four people to do model experiments (regular road, wet road, and broken road), observe each phenomenon and write a report, and one person to print out all materials. I gathered all material from them, selected useful information, analyzed the reports, and wrote a research paper. This paper included data, charts, graphs, analysis, and conclusion. After I finished the paper, I gave it to my physics teacher to review. To my delight, he was satisfied with our paper and encouraged me to give a presentation about our project in front of the class. Proudly and Confidently, I gave an excellent presentation and won much applause from my classmates. After that, I became more passionate in research and decide to major in physics.

After I finished high school, my family immigrated to America. As new immigrants, my family had a very hard life. Due to my parents' language limitation and our financial disadvantage, we had to live in a very small apartment with poor condition. I had to do part-time jobs as a waiter to help my family. From this job, I became mature and independent and learned how manage my money. While I had to face a lot of challenges, my desire to acquire knowledge and my passion in physics never diminished. In order to keep the pot boiling, I went to libraries to read books on various topics of physics such as heat conduction, particle diffusion, and quantum mechanics.

Last summer, I volunteered as a lab aide in City College of San Francisco. My job was to understand the labs, arrange everything for Physics 2AL and Physics 4AL, and fix some broken equipment. From this work, I learned the laboratory rules, how to set up the equipment, where the equipment should be replaced, and how to identify and fix the broken equipment. In addition, because I worked with another volunteer and the supervisor, I developed my communication and cooperation skills. As my career goal is to be nuclear physics researcher, I plan to intern in a national lab on nuclear project. Thus, this experience will be very helpful to improve my research abilities. Last fall, I joined the physics club and visited Berkeley Lawrence National Laboratory. Influenced by the research atmosphere, my desire to conduct nuclear physics research got stronger. Moreover, I participated in the AMATYC Competition and got the first place among all CCSF participants. I won the AMATYC scholarship from math department for my outstanding accomplishment in the competition. This semester, I am working as a lab aide in both Ocean and Chinatown campus and continue to improve my experimental and management skills.

With my talent, passion, involvement, experience, knowledge, and skills in math and physics, I will be able to make an impact on nuclear physics. I hope one day I can find an applicable way to generate nuclear fusion to solve the Energy Crisis.
When I was three, I learned reading and writewriting .

I showed great talent for math and was able to calculate someperform basic arithmetic problems

It's good to keep it that way because you may sound exaggerating

As Sir Francis Bacon once said, "Knowledge is power(no comma ) ", knowledge can not only change my life, but also change the world.

I feel the second part (bolded) is not adding much value .... I suggest you stop with the quote and directly link it to how you feel about it;

[i]"Knowledge is Power", said Sir Francis Bacon. I wish to utilize this power to make a postive difference in the world.[/i]

I organized a group to research on physics.

...well.... physics is such a vast discipline, so you better specify as to what sort of research you conducted, I mean the area or the problem.... sounds a bit too vagure otherwise :(
OP KYOAAA 6 / 20 1  
Thanks! I really appreciate that!

Home / Scholarship / "Knowledge is power", said Sir Francis Bacon; Personal Stament -SCHOLARSHIP