"The language of the universe" Hispanic Scholarship Fund- a recent academic challenge

Marioqwe 1 / -  
Describe a recent academic challenge you have faced.
Explain how you overcame it. (600 words max.)

I am new to the English language so I am not sure about my punctuation. I'll be really thankful for any help. Also, I do not know if I am giving enough explanation. What do you think?

Nobody is born knowing the language of the universe; not me, not you, not even Einstein.

A few years ago, my dream was to become a physicist; I wanted to be the next Einstein. I had read many books about physics and I was very familiar with terms such as bosom, quark, and gluon, and names such as Schrodinger and Faraday.

I thought I knew what I wanted to do with my life; after all, my goal was to master the language of the universe. Unfortunately, I had not realized that the work of a physicist was theoretical for the most part. I didn't want this for me. I really love physics and the math that it involves. However, I wanted to do something to help humanity in the short-term. I wanted to see my dreams come true. I wanted to materialize my thoughts.

It was clear to me that a career in theoretical physics was not for me. I was really disappointed because I had spent the past two years working towards a degree that in the long term was not going to make me happy. Luckily, I was fortunate enough to come across a paper that changed my life. It was about VASIMR-an electromagnetic thruster for space propulsion that works using plasma and nuclear energy. It was perfect. I only had to change my major to engineering.

At first, I was afraid to change majors; I didn't want to spend an extra year in college. I couldn't afford it. But the opportunity cost of switching to engineer was greater in the long-term. So I worked out a new schedule with my academic advisor. It turns out that I had to take double the amount of credits a full time student has to take. I accepted the challenge with my chin up.

Now, it's been five months and the semester is almost over. I am really glad to say that I am doing excellent on every class and that I am receiving my degree next June. I had to put a lot of effort in my classes and give up video games and partying. But I am happy that I made this decision while I am still young and full of energy. There is, however, one thought that comes to my mind from time to time, "what would had happened if I hadn't made the decision of switching majors?" I am glad that I don't have to answer this question.
Ksychic - / 1  

-------------------------

I believe this should be, "become the next Einstein"

However, I wanted to do something to help humanity in the short-term. I wanted to see my dreams come true. I wanted to materialize my thoughts.

----------------------------
Dicton

Other than those two things, solid essay!

I just created a thread too, assess mine?
and names such as the work of Schrodinger and Faraday.

I didn't want this for me myself.

...cost of switching to engineering was greater in the long-term. ---do you mean that it was NOT greater in the long term?

Use a comma for a compound sentence:
Now, it's been five months, and the semester is almost over.

I am really glad to say that I am doing excellent on in every class and that I am receiving my degree next June. I had to put a lot of effort in my classes and give up video games and partying. But I am happy that I made this decision while...

(Well, you can be old and full of energy, too. It just depends on whether something is important to you. Energy comes from strong desire. :-)

I think the reader is going to be impressed!

Home / Scholarship / "The language of the universe" Hispanic Scholarship Fund- a recent academic challenge