Languages and business related subjects - GKS GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP. PERSONAL STATEMENT

Chinny89 1 / -  
Hi, Chinelle

I would appreciate it if anyone would take the time to read and criticize my essay

This is what they asked for;
- Motivations with which you apply for this program
- Your education and work experience in relation to GKS.
- Reason for studying in Korea
- Any other aspects of your background and interests which may help us evaluate your aptitude and passion for graduate study or research.

PERSONAL STATEMENT

There is something about travel and experiencing other culture that opens your eyes in a way that cannot be achieved through even the most extensive study of textbooks or pictures. The booming of the Korean Wave(Hallyu) has triggered a new phenomenon of culture in a personal lifestyle.

I was motivated because South Korea has always been a home to many high quality institutions and it's widely recognized for it's extraordinary higher education system,not only do international students gain access to top education opportunities they also benefit from exceptional employment and career development and support while attending the country's colleges and universities.

A unique individual is shaped by a unique education, At a young age, I have discovered my own definition of success:that is not giving up on any circumstances,no matter the trails or boulders blocking the way.I have always wanted to study and work overseas where I can have the chance to see various cultures that are combined together. My family has always supported my efforts,but unfortunately they could not afford sending me overseas to study.

Regarding my desire to study overseas I applied for my BA to study Modern Languages, majoring in French language and minor in Italian,while nursing the desire to travel for my MBA, while in college I helped scheduling mentoring classes for a few of my course mates. During my undergraduate years I became the class representative for 4 years throughout those year I had to organize extra curricular activities for the freshermen on one on one mentoring activities with the sophomores.Studying French has brought me to spending a year in Togo for Research on my BA thesis.it was really interesting because I was able to study with foreign students,had the opportunity to further enhance my language skills and finally became fluent.

After graduating,I desired to bridge the ethnic and cultural gaps amongst different Nations, through the studying and understanding of foreign languages and cultures, I worked as a French educator for some years, French being the second official language I volunteered in training and educating other teachers about the importance of learning other languages and cultures. I am passionate about solving problems using my skills. I came across some children in an orphanage interested in studying a foreign language, I volunteered in teaching them about the importance of learning other languages and culture, while I was there so many of the children aspired to studying overseas that's when I knew that I wanted to help change and impact lives for the future generations as well as help those that wants to change their lives. I partnered with a non profit organization whose mission was to provide tutoring for students and partner them with role models.

Aside from languages, I am also very interested with business related subjects. My interest in business management aroused while I was working as an Administrative officer, I experienced most businesses fail after some years due to lack of good management and maintenance, working in some organizations have further expanded my knowledge in various areas. Now I want to broaden my horizons and finally be able to make good use of everything that I have learnt and everything that I will be learning through a comprehensive study in operations management.

In preparation for my course of study in korea for my graduate degree, I have been learning the basics of the language (Hangul) through the use of free online courses and learning materials. Also preparing myself in the area of business management because I have come to understand that the global economy really plays a vital role in business. I know that I can certainly make a great contribution towards any industry. I hope to be able to use my experiences and skills that I will gain through this MBA degree program in order to become an operations manager, helping businesses grow. The skills I would acquire will help me in the art of handling business matters throughout the world.

I want to study in South korea because their universities provide meaningful experiences for international students regarding the Korean culture and education, they also provide opportunities to conduct advance studies in undergraduate and graduate programs at higher education. Also because of my deep interest in the Korean culinary culture.

The purpose of taking the initiative of applying for this GKS scholarship is that I do not want my career to be left to fate, but by choice. I am applying because my future depends on it,also I do not wish to continue flipping through the pages of your website, I want to come on board and partake in the learning process. These are my aspirations and I humbly ask that you consider and make it a reality.

Thanks.
I am confused by your presentation. Are you applying for an MA in a Language OR Business course? You can only apply for one of the two courses. I do not believe that there are masters courses that combine the MA for the given courses as those are 2 unrelated fields of study. You have more of a background in languages based on the information presented here. I strongly suggest that you revise the essay to focus on the language courses instead. It makes more sense when considering the overall presentation. The business interest is not as strong, not well supported by your academic, professional, and life experiences, and does not really indicate a future career path for yourself. There is nothing to indicate a strong background in research or studies for business. I believe the essay will be better serves if you remove the business presentation and strengthen the languages discussion instead.

Home / Scholarship / Languages and business related subjects - GKS GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP. PERSONAL STATEMENT