HOW I LAUNCH AND SUSTAINED AN EVER-GROWING NETWORK

isahmk125 3 / 5 1  

CHEVENING NETWORKING SKILLS QUESTION

I was able to launch and sustained an ever-growing network of my professional, social and personal contacts. How did I manage to create such a network? It all stated in 2011 when I was a freshman.

As a fresh student I was assigned mentor, Mr. Mu'awiya, who from onset has exposes me to the nitty-gritty of how things are done in academics and academia. For instance, first, he inspired me how to develop my teaching skills, how to communicate with younger people and how to deliver a lecture. I became overly dedicative, zealous and resilient. For that reason, we became very close that I even became widely known to most of my lecturers both seniors and juniors. As a result of the competence, tenacity, and persistence I continued to displayed, some lecturers trusted me so much that they would always recommend I tutor my colleagues and younger ones some parts of their courses. The students on the other hand, because of the way I was open and direct to them, till today, they contact me for advice and guidance on their research and even career path. This had really help me broaden my academic network to younger generation and higher academic class.

In 2014, when I did my Internship together with colleagues from other institutions, I realised that they are deficient in some integral aspect of what a competent Builder/construction manager should know. For example, they lack the knowledge of the practical application of the Health and safety procedures, builders' ethics, operating software such as the MS Project, AutoCAD etc. for that reason, I organised classes to put them through and it was a great success. Most of them feel the impact of the classes. This earned me great admiration and respect not only among my colleagues but also the managers. After my internship had ended, I have maintained my relationship with the people in the organisation through attending their meetings and also personal contact in order to sustain and build on my network.

Currently at the National Youth Service in Enugu state, I am working under Ministry of Housing. The ministry is in charge of most of the construction undertaken by the state government including 340 units of houses in Akpouga-Nike. For the past six months that I have been with them, I got the opportunity to meet and interact with so many contractors with many years of practical experience. I was able to learn so much, particularly, on the consultancy aspect and how to relate well with contractors in order to achieve the set goal. This is a lifetime network I promised to sustain which I believed will certainly have positive impact on myself in the near future and the coming generations.

I am optimistic that, by having masters in the UK, I will get the chance to enrich my knowledge along establishing a new partnership and network with my future international colleagues and university. This will certainly bring many positive improvements to my country.
henricuspria 4 / 9 2  
@isahmk125

I think this essay focused more on what deeds you have done and how people appreciate it rather than describing how good you are in building network for the the development of your career/ or to solve certain problems.

You should give some examples of that
Ibrahim, your essay is more focused on presenting a profession disconnected leadership and influencing discussion instead of a continuous, profession related network. With only 500 words to worry work, the reviewer will need to be better informed regarding your professional network more than anything else. The most effective networking presentation is the one that seamlessly represents a college network foundation that developed our transitioned into additional professional networks when you started working in the field. A clear usability of and development of networks and networking skills becomes evident in such instances. This gives the reviewer a better idea as to how the Chevening members may be able to utilize your network as well. So focus the development of the network on just one aspect that clearly defined your profession, the foundation of your network, it's usability and your network coloration skills. You can focus the essay, The basis for it is working this version. You just have to pick which one it will be.
OP isahmk125 3 / 5 1  
Thanks so much I appreciate

Home / Scholarship / HOW I LAUNCH AND SUSTAINED AN EVER-GROWING NETWORK