"A leader must have courage, credibility, and innovation"

em2always 15 / 79  
PLEASE HELP Im really having trouble on this scholarship essay for the Ron Brown Scholar Program. I feel like I should include specific leaders for examples. This is my first draft...please hack it to pieces! The prompt was what are the most important qualitites a leader must have in todays society. why?...i still have no conclusion...problem....it can be 500 words

To lead is a challenge. It is the courage to stand in front of others and voice your opinions. Those who lead are seen. The ideas they put forth and decisions they make are criticized. No matter how wonderful, talented, or inspiring someone is, taking a chance on greatness causes adversity. Everyone is not a leader. There are those mean to follow, to do what their told, and live safely. There are also those who do. Those people of action are noticed, admired, and respected, but their task of leadership is not successful without a foundation in character. The most important qualities a leader in today's society must possess are courage, credibility, and innovation.

Without taking chances, few things of importance are ever accomplished. The world rewards those who go against the grain and fight. Courage is necessary to do really anything. It takes gusto to stand in front of a boardroom and project new ideas for a company. There is always the chance of rejection and the chance of failure. But to leaders, failure is only inspiration for future successes. They are not afraid to try, but more importantly, they are not afraid to act. The world can not be led by the meek. There must be courage to lead, before it can be done.

Secondly, a leader must be credible. Leaders represent others. The governed body wants to know that their leader is capable of doing what they set out to do. That assurance is based on past experience. Leaders need to show that they have been responsible in the past and done what was assigned to them and more, a track record of excellence. This will ensure peace of mind in those following in the leader's footsteps and further their reputation.

Lastly, innovation is the key to effective leadership. No one wants repetition, dullness, and exhausted concepts. New, vibrant ideas are vital in keeping the world moving forward. To stay stagnant is to die, in both intellect and potential. Ideas do not have to be good ones, but they do have to be present, vocal, and loud. Leaders are leaders for a reason. Their creativity and thinking are different from others. They are pensive, but powerful, and with their knowledge, leaders soar. They consistently challenge established thought and strive to improve both themselves and others.
brownfox 1 / 3  
the chance the that your leadership skills could fail

The world can not be lead led by the meek

This will cause ensure peace of mind in those. Cause does not fit here.

dullness, the same old same old [repeated]

New, vibrant ideas are vital to keeping in keeping or to keep the world moving forward

To stay stagnant is to die, to die intellectually and in potential. Not very clear. Could you reword it?
kikiallen 1 / 10  
Great essay, I feel that you captivated what a leader is exactly. The words you chose to describe a leader were right on the head and you gave good evidence to support it.

one problem:Everyone is not a leader. There are those mean to follow, to do what their told, and live safely. There are also those who do.--> what do you mean there are also those who do? Do you mean there are also those who are meant to lead?
Mick 3 / 14  
There are those mean meant to follow, to do what their told, and live safely.

Sort of seems wrong to say some people were made to follow.

Good organization, but seems a little stiff. Try to make it a bit more personal, maybe? What leadership means to you, your experience with it, stuff like that.
jemeshay 3 / 8  
This sounds really really good. You really exemplified what a leader should be!

To me, this sentence doesn't serve a purpose or maybe you should clarify it more.
There are also those who do.
This is a very confusing sentence for me.
And I also think you should make the essay more relative to you and some leadership qualities you possess.
atham64 4 / 12  
i like the topic but there are so many things that leaders are but maybe you can give examples of current leaders and the qualities they have. example barack obama became our president because of innovation because he believed change in america that no other presidential candidate had.

Home / Scholarship / "A leader must have courage, credibility, and innovation"