A leader in the making. Leadership has clearly been the course of my life.

Paddy 1 / 1  

Chevening is looking for individuals who will be future leaders or influencers

Hey guys I really need your help on my chevening easy. Any criticism, correct and advice is highly welcome. Please

A leader in the making
Leadership is a dynamic role, at one point you follow as you're prepared to lead. This has clearly been the course of my life as evident in my experiences as both a student and a teacher.

knowing more than the average student and confidence in sharing my ideas, naturally earned me an influential role over both my peers and my superiors, which later turned into active leadership roles. Knowledge on various topics, landed me a lead in both class and causal discussions. Through these I was able to influence reading styles and general discipline of my fellow students as well as changes in teaching tables. This got me various appointments in posts all through school, including being class monitor in my primary five and six, president of Science club 2011/2012 and head of interns for my last internship.

Professionally as a teacher l, the school environment has given me the opportunity to develop more as a leader. As a teacher on duty, I take charge of organising and addressing assemblies, delegating prefects, conflict resolution, making sure lessons are taught, and at the end giving an account for the entire week. Being friendly mixed with a bit of assertiveness is how I create a conducive learning environment and at the same time building confidence and trust in my learners. Respecting others and myself, is how l have kept my learners and fellow teachers comfortable with me in the lead.

From my life experience, it is evident that leadership comes naturally when you demonstrate you cab when you're not. Becoming a chevening scholar is preparation for taking up the lead in the future.
Paddy, this is an extremely short and unimpressive leadership and influencing essay. You do not need to define what leadership means to you or what your idea of leadership is. That is not the topic for discussion here. Rather, you must focus only on the discussion of how you embody a certain type of leadership and influencing style. As a teacher, you do have automatic leadership of your students and you do have a strong influence upon them being their educator. So that is not the right scenario to discuss in this essay. You are a leader and influencer by default when it comes to your students. You need to show your leadership and influencing abilities beyond the classroom.

For example, you can explain that you are a member of the teacher's union or some other professional educational group. In order to exemplify your leadership skills, you must showcase how you handle difficult scenarios that require you to take on responsibility and direct the group towards a successful outcome. This is something that will automatically highlight your influencing skills as well because an effective leader needs to first be a notable influencer in the group for without the ability to affect the mindset and attitude of your team members, you will not be able to successfully lead them.

My opinion is that you must write a totally new essay. One that highlights the information I gave above in a manner similar to my suggested approach. That way, your leadership and influencing essay will be more on the mark with regards to the reviewer's expectations and required information. Do not go back to college to talk about leadership and influencing skills. Stay focused on your professional career for these information because you are applying for admission to a masters course and therefore, should prove to have the professional skills from where you have the foundation for or the developed leadership and influencing skills that will help you handle the stressful environment of being an international scholar.
OP Paddy 1 / 1  
@Holt thanks for that.
Am going to workout at it from that angle.

Home / Scholarship / A leader in the making. Leadership has clearly been the course of my life.