A leader needs to guide as well as follow. Requirement of leadership skills Chevening.

Aleja1909 1 / -  
Hi friends, I would like you to review my essay for applying for Chevening Scholarship Programe. Any commentary about grammar or content is welcome. Help me to improve it please. Thanks

I strongly believe that a good leader must be a person able to work in team, to contribute with ideas and suggestions as well as being open minded to receive different ideas coming from others. Besides a leader has to be strong when faces difficulties in the way and be strategic to overcome them. This is what I have learnt during my education process at University and is one of the most valuable lessons that my previous participation in investigation has given me.

During my professional studies, I had the opportunity to participate in several research groups. One example of this was the group of Paramos and Andean Ecosystems associated to my University, in which I worked with some professors and classmates to propose a research project about the dynamics of water as an environmental service provided by an autochthon ecosystem in our region. This was a highly enriching experience since all of we could act as leaders and learnt that it was important to follow and support the others. Personally, I encouraged them to be disciplined and perseverant with all the activities we had because at the beginning our project was not precisely valued by the evaluation pairs however, by going on our working and improving our ideas, the project was accepted and successfully executed.

Besides, we were such a committed to developing the project that we could establish personal relationships with farmers from our department NariƄo, Colombia. This allowed us to share our scientific knowledge about the preservation of natural resources and in the same way, feeding back ourselves with their empiric knowledge. At the end, me and my team were able, not only of obtaining results that impacted in the academic and scientific community (because later we published a scientific article), but also of giving some new and practical advices to people about the preservation of water and some other natural resources.

Another experience that helped me a lot to strengthen my leader and influencer skills is my actual job. I work in a research project funded by governmental resources, whose aim is to develop a new method to produce drinking water. Part of my activities is to propose suitable methodologies for the detection of pathogens in raw and drinking water, for this; I had to venture in new topics of biology that I haven't worked before and socialize my ideas in order to convince the project's coordinators of its appropriateness of being applied in the project. Many of them had been welcomed and are actually the ones implemented. This has been a challenging activity that had made me more strategic, professional and even more confident of my own skills.

In that sense, I consider that I have developed the fundamental characteristics which allow me to be a leader and influencer person, however I am really conscious that my way to be a good leader needs to continue and for that reason I am determined to learn and feed myself from new experiences and teachings from others.
There is a misconception these days that as long as a person works with a team, then everyone in the team is a leader. That is not the case. That is why the term "Team Leader" was developed. The term describes the person with the fullest authority over the team and also delegates his role as lead influencer. So your claim that working on that project allowed everyone to be a leader is flawed. Unless there were many sub research teams that had their own leaders, forcing the group to have tentacles of leadership, I don't see how your claim could be valid.

Your actual work experience does not verge on leadership either. It is more of a subordinate role than anything else since you require approval for your movements from someone higher in rank than you. If there is any prompt relevant issue that can be derived from that role of yours, it would probably be the influencing side since you had to present the results of our studies to other people and make them believe in your results. In terms of leadership, the whole essay is weak and in bad need of proper leadership examples.

Home / Scholarship / A leader needs to guide as well as follow. Requirement of leadership skills Chevening.