Leaders are made, not born - leadership experience essay

lowcal 12 / 27  
Discuss a leadership experience you have had in any area of your life - school, work, athletics, family, church, community, etc. How and why did you become a leader in this area? How did this experience influence your goals?

Usually in a typical sibling scenario, the oldest one tends to be the role model, the boss, or even the leader. In my case, I had to switch roles with my older brother. About four years, my brother had been hit by a car. Following the accident, he had severe brain injuries and fell into a coma for about two weeks. Thankfully, he managed to make it through the storm and face the real world again. However, his life perspective altered. It was difficult for him to stand upright for at least a minute. His speech had been somewhat impaired. Most heartbreaking of all, he forgot many of his life memories that he shared with my family and I for many cherishing year

Although I was not captain of the track team or the president of the debate team, I was the leader towards guiding my brother back to hopefully leading a normal life. Many days I had to sacrifice my plans with friends to take care of him. I read him stories that he used to indulge himself in to about 2:00 o'clock in the morning. I attempted to revive his speech by repeating sentences to him when we conversed. As a soccer player, I try to maintain my body in good shape. I stretch out my muscles everyday to increase my stamina and flexibility. With the help of my workout regimen, I weaved my routines into my brother's physical therapy not only to enhance his physical abilities but also to succor him in acquiring strength needed for him to mobilize independently. While I tried to the best of my ability in aiding my brother to live a stable lifestyle, I also grew into a mature and more independent individual through the period.

I learned that sometimes despite how people strive to gear towards independence, they need somewhat of guidance in some point of their lives. Vince Lombardi once said: "Leaders are made, not born." The moment I decided to care for my brother, I stepped in the role of a leader. As I set aside my parts of my life to take care and better the circumstances of another human being. I maintained the mindset to proceed with altruistic acts rather than selfish ones. I strived to help my brother to once again gain the strength and courage to stand on his own two feet again. Till this day, I reflect upon each day that I spent with him during his critical conditions. While he was in pain, I was in pain also. Sometimes it was distressing from for me to face someone who I called brother, protector, and friend in physical ache. But through my moments of grief, I grew into a stronger person. My goal was to help him reach where we both wanted him to be. Our moment of grieving had past. It was now time to move forward. It was time to move forward to a better life.

My moments during his difficult time drove me to care for others who battled life's troubles every day. Whether troubles may be physical, mental, or even emotion, I aspired to take on the task to helping others arrive to a better setting. Accordingly, my experience with my brother has further pushed me to reach my goal in becoming a doctor. I long to let others depend on me to aid in battling their hardships and try my best to help them survive. I want to remind people that despite life's hardships, they have the ability to conquer it. With pain comes strength. With strength comes courage. With courage comes victory. Although my journey towards helping my brother has successfully ended, I would like find a new route where it requires such humanitarian efforts.
linmark 2 / 328 7  
It would strengthen your essay if you included examples of your interaction with others that helped your brother. You only write about what YOU did alone, with him. Also, you leave the reader hanging by not specifying what was the outcome i.e. where you both wanted him to be. Is he independent and can take care of himself now? Why has your "journey towards helping my brother has successfully ended?"

My goal was to help him reach where we both wanted him to be. Our moment of grieving had past. It was now time to move forward. It was time to move forward to a better life.

REPETITIVE.

Some rewording and corrections:

About four years, my brother had been hit by a car.

About four years AGO, my brother WAS hit by a car.

It was difficult for him to stand upright for at least a minute.

for MORE THAN (or OVER) a minute

His speech had been somewhat impaired.

speech function was impaired

for many cherishing year

for many cherished years (??)

As I set asidemy parts of my life to take care

Home / Scholarship / Leaders are made, not born - leadership experience essay