My leadership attitude - to stand out in the crowd and speak up for what I think is the right thing

laven92 1 / 1  

the leadership question of chevening

this is my essay for the leadership question of chevening scholarships program, i would be happy to hear your comments and see if there is anything to add orchange , thank you in advance

A person can lead or show leadership skills in many different ways, to lead is to be strong enough to take the responsibility of failure before success and to share responsibilities, not only to order above people, as for me as long as I remember I had always tried to stand out in the crowd and speak up for what I thought it was the right thing.

Being the older child in my family was a reason to take responsibility for my younger sisters and the house because my mother was a full-time office worker, in addition to taking care of my family , I worked so hard to achieve my dream, which was studying veterinary medicine (because I love animals )I tried to encourage my friends or classmates to do the same too.

An example in which I was chosen to lead and show real leadership skills and to influence others to do the same was when I managed and arranged a public festival on world veterinary day 2017, I was a graduate and had no connection with the university , but because of the love of veterinary medicine and the need of the public to be aware of animal issues the idea came to my mind, I talked to the dean and he gave me permission to start my project, I responsible for 40 veterinary students from different stages in the college of veterinary medicine and 5 veterinary doctors, in the course of one week we worked hard to show the public the importance of veterinary medicine and its relation to the public health by prevention and control of zoonotic diseases , we educated people about the basic needs of pet animals and their welfare besides many other entertaining activities .

I was responsible of managing the whole event, dividing the responsibilities between the participants, making sure that everyone is doing their part of the work, and on the event day I was amazed by the result of our hard work which you could tell by looking at the faces of the visitors.

This was a good experience for me to learn how to accept different opinions , handle misunderstandings between group members , to control myself in very stressful situations and the most important thing I learned how to show my gratitude to the group who worked with me because leaders become great not because of their power but because of their ability to empower others, then for the second year in 2018 the veterinary students with my help arranged another event and participated in more activities about public health and animal welfare, they were even encouraged to participate in international veterinary student association which they didn't have the courage to do it before, at the end I feel that I had a good influence on my fellow veterinarians and veterinary students .
Lavin, I do not get a clear sense of leadership and management from your presentation. Neither do you present any influencing skills in the discussion. The ability to organize an event does not add up to a leadership and influencing skill. It is the ability to manage the unexpected during the mounting of the event, how you respond to the mounting problems during this time, and how you harnessed the talents of your staff to help you get over these hurdles that exemplify a true leadership and influencing skill.

What you wrote is not competitive enough. It is too simple and academic to be taken seriously when considering the leadership and influencing abilities of the other applicants to the program. This is not competitive. This is little relevant to the essay prompt. Try to supplement this presentation by shortening this experience and then adding either a community or professional leadership and influencing event. This is a good foundation for your leadership and influencing skills, but it is not capable of representing your full potential in the eyes of the reviewer. That is why you need to enhance the content of the essay.

Home / Scholarship / My leadership attitude - to stand out in the crowd and speak up for what I think is the right thing