The leadership has been existing in me without my knowledge

kwendo98 1 / 1  

The greatest leader is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things

According to Ronald Reagan, "The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things."

Describe an instance where you had to be a leader in your community. What did you learn about yourself, your leadership style, and your capacity to create change?

It was during the period when I was waiting to join into the university after finishing my secondary school studies when my village chief sermon all youths. He did that after realizing the extend in which the youth have gone astrain. They were involving in dangerous sexual activities without caring the consequences, using drugs and involving in criminal activities. This made my community to lose many youths since it was becoming so viral.

As a form of showing the respect, I attended the meeting which took place in village square. Area chief made a lot of complain about how will live our lives as youths, he was talking with pains, tears flowed down his cheeks. I was really touched with his words that I had to put shyness aside and just stand and find myself walking toward where he was. Honestly, I never knew what was really happen to myself during that moment. I left everyone mouth open.

I approached the Chief and request him to give me a chance and let me say something. Since he was also astonished as others, he just handed over the microphone to me. I hold it carefully and looked directly to the audience eyes and just say "why". Without knowing my whole face was so wet tears. I continued my speech with motivation and safe practices in life that can be essential to youths' life. I told them that life is a choice. It only us who can decide for ourselves on which road we should choose.

I was surprise on how the environment was so quiet that I could not hear even a mammal of anyone. I looked behind me where the chief was only to realize he was already positioned himself in the nearby chair with a facial impression of being touched. Since I was not expecting any of this, that is when I realize that I was the speaker and people were listening to me. I just conclude by saying thank you and put down the microphone in the table.

I walked slowly to where to find myself a chair. Just after seating down, youth started to come towards me and I was wondering what is wrong with them. Some of them even the one who were older than me swallow their pride and seek for advice and counseling from me. Since there is no way I would have resisted, I counselled them one by one without tiresome and ensure that they will do the right thing for better future of the society. The chief approached me privately and ask me who are you? Who send you? Ofcource I was not in a position to answer that since he knew even who my parents are.

This scenario made me to discover the leadership that has been existing in me without knowing. I my ability to help out only for the concern I have about others. I found out how influential I can be, even the chief himself swallow his pride and listen careful on the potential I have with me. I also realize that I have demonstrate Charismatic leadership style by encouraging, mentoring, provide them with advices for their well being.

From the attention I got, I realize if people were listening to me I can create great positive towards lives of many on the way of living a healthy lives without any fear. This will then influence the growth of my community.

Finally this scenario is just an instance but what I know I must grow as leader to be an outstanding in my abilities in my leadership activities.
nhancau12345 3 / 5 2  
Hello, there are some mistakes that I correct for you.
... realizing the extend (-> extent) in which ... gone astrain -> a strain
I was surprised on how ...
... to realize he was has already positioned
This scenario made me to discover ...
I my ability to ...
... and listen carefully
Ofcource (-> of course)
Finally, this scenario ... grow as a leader to be an outstanding in ...
Brian, all you did in this essay was open up about a community problem and your comments about it. You did not show any actual leadership skill either intentional or unintentional. Simply crying and giving a talk sounds dramatic on paper but does not do anything to deliver a leadership understanding with regards to how you function as a leader or what your leadership style is. This is not an essay that properly responds to the prompt.

Had you instead, spoken of how you sat in on the talk and realized that you wanted to help solve the problem, then you would have laid out the foundation for a leadership style, development, and personal understanding in the essay. You would have been more prompt responsive that way. So, revise this essay. Go beyond the talk and what you said. Show how you helped lead the teenagers back onto the right path. Then explain what unique leadership traits you showed that helped the community teenagers change. In what capacity did you effect change? What skills and leadership traits did you use to do influence the change in the teens? Was it a direct or indirect influence on your part? What was the end of the story? These are the questions that you have to respond to that might help you create a better response to the prompt.
OP kwendo98 1 / 1  
@nhancau12345
thanks a lot for the correction though is just a draft of the essay will correct that. point taken

Home / Scholarship / The leadership has been existing in me without my knowledge