Home / Scholarship   % width NEW!

My leadership experiences in various renewable energy projects as a government research engineer

aryabhaskara 3 / 5  
Hi everyone! Greetings from Indonesia. My name is Arya. I would like to have my essays reviewed (although it is already being submitted weeks ago). Could you please give feedback and input to this? Thank you very much, stay healthy and have a blast day!

My Chevening Essays : Part 1 - Leadership and Influences

Prompt : Chevening is looking for individuals with strong professional relationship-building skills, who will engage with the Chevening community and influence and lead others in their chosen profession. Please explain how you build and maintain relationships in a professional capacity, using clear examples of how you currently do this, and outline how you hope to use these skills in the future. (minimum word count: 100 words; maximum word count: 500 words)

Leadership and influence

Leadership is not about the position but the influence. My leadership experiences in various renewable energy projects as a government research engineer served as a testament.

In 2019, I joined a project of 2000 cubic meters co-firing biogas. This project belongs to PT. P***** V (P** V), Pekanbaru and is related to Indonesia's research priority. This project required an instrument and control system facility. Therefore, I initiated a research proposal to develop this in a year, obtained a 1.3 billion rupiah grant from Indonesia's Ministry of Research Technology and Higher Education, and led a team of 8 researchers from various backgrounds. We are required to submit the engineering documents and appoint a contractor for this project. A series of challenges rocked our boat during the project execution. For example, the tight project deadline, improving my team's knowledge of this subject, late purchased materials, and construction progress delay by the contractor. Undeterred, I used my expertise and experiences from my previous project to navigate those problems. I helped our contractor by identifying items that had long-time inquiries and ordered them quickly. I also gave them directions on doing parallel construction works with other sections, such as mechanical and piping. On the other hand, I also directed my team on how to create those documents. To make their jobs easier, I assigned each document related to each member's undergraduate background. Furthermore, I invited a professional trainer and created a Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) training that helped them dive deeper into this project. Moreover, I held a monthly meeting to check the progress and convey our suggestions to the contractor to improve their work. Finally, we finished this project with a flawlessly operated instrument and control system and 12.4 billion rupiahs per year as potential revenue for P**** V[1].

Secondly, I was involved in a team that built a methanol synthetic prototype in 2019. This program served as a Science and Technology Research Partnership for Sustainable Development (SATREPS) cooperation with Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA). This project examines the probability of producing methanol from syngas using a catalyst. However, the prototype's frequent leaking halted the research. The team must prevent the leak since it can cause explosions and suffocation from carbon dioxide. My institution's credibility was at stake as our efforts went south. Doubt started creeping in as the group standstill and ran out of ideas. Fortunately, I remember my experience that a leak test by international standards can ensure safety. Therefore, I managed to convince them of this idea to proceed with the research. I gave them directions to check and monitor the leakage point meticulously. Finally, we have done the leak test safely and successfully produced methanol with 0.5% per volume. I collaborated with each research team (biogas and methanol) to create a nationally accredited journal publication. [2] [3]

After all, I aspire to be a Chevener who steered Indonesia's transition towards the renewable energy era and positively influenced our environment.

Source :
[1]https://www.bppt.go.id/berita-bppt/bppt-bersama-ptpn-v-ubah-limbah-cair-kepala-sawit-menjadi-sumber-listrik-terbarukan
[2]https://ejurnal.bppt.go.id/index.php/MIPI/article/view/3865
[3] ejurnal.bppt.go.id/index.php/MIPI/article/view/3857

Home / Scholarship / My leadership experiences in various renewable energy projects as a government research engineer