Leadership is not a gift at birth, leaders are created by hard work, dedication and experience

ranasaleh 1 / 4 2  
Chevening is looking for individuals that will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries.

Leadership is not a gift acquired at birth; I believe that leaders are built through hard work, dedication and experience. Hence, my first leadership experience came from being a team leader in college in many projects through the last three years at college. I was chosen by the team members to work as the team coordinator. So, I had to take the responsibility of managing a team of 8 to 10 members, distributing tasks among the members and schedule the design process of the project. I have always received a very good feedback about my work, efficiency and responsibility.

During my study years at college, I participated in several activities and workshops. I had the chance to participate in an international architectural workshop in Port Said which was cooperation between Cairo University, Alexandria University and Brandenburg University of Technology. During which I was learning my second leadership lesson through leading a group of 10 participants from Alexandria, Cairo, Port Said and Germany. It was a great challenge and an inspiration to lead a group of different cultures. At the end, our proposal got very pleasant reviews and that was a great achievement.

After graduating, I worked as a Teacher Assistant at the Faculty of Fine Arts. I found it another way to motivate young people and deliver my experience to them. It was a pleasure to feel that I am returning back some of what I have learned from college to the upcoming generations.

Through my two years of professional work experience, I was able to proof my leadership skills. I started as a Junior Architect but recently, I was promoted as the Team Leader of the design team that is consisted of 4 Architects. I consider this as a new challenge and I work so hard to influence the team and choose the right one to do the job in order to deliver the tasks on time.

In addition, I have been more eager to participate in different activities related to the development of the community, as I am convinced that every person has an effective role in the community. That was my motivation when I used to travel every day from Alexandria to Cairo, to participate in Ezbet Project workshop. This project that aims to impact the local individuals intellectually and economically along impacting the whole Ezbet's built environment and infrastructure as well. In this workshop, I learned both how to lead and follow. Where, I took part in helping the local people building awareness and understanding their community priorities.

I feel that I have not satisfied my urge to learn, especially when there is so much still to learn. I have yet to fulfill and enrich my experiences and return with lots of strategies and ideas to improve my country.
Rana, there are two ways that you can go with this essay. The first, is to keep this essay as is, with all of its under developed but impressive mentions of your potential as a leader, but without a clear path towards a role as an influential person in your profession or community. The other, is to pick out the 2 most leadership and influencing specific portions of your background that can best reflect your abilities in light of the prompt requirements. My suggestion is to follow option 2. The one that will best portray your skills and allow the reviewer to see you as a possible influencing and leading force in your country or community in the future.

In terms of influencing powers, I believe that your stint as a Teaching Assistant in the Faculty of Fine Arts would be the best way to prove your influencing skills. The mere fact that you speak of motivating young people and sharing your experiences with them implies that you have some sort of influence upon this group. I suggest that you develop that paragraph a bit more to reflect an actual inspirational incident that can help support the claim that you have the ability to influence the members of your community towards positive participation in activities.

With regards to the leadership, work the angle regarding your rise from Junior Architect to team Leader. Make sure to highlight the difficulties of the job in terms of leading a team where you have to lead 4 architects, all of whom have different behaviors, demands, and abilities. If you can throw in an influencing angle, all the better.

Basically, you will need to revise the essay in order to focus on these 2 suggestions of mine. I hope that you will consider these suggestions and write a new draft based upon it. You can compare the 2 versions and make the decision as to which version to use for yourself.
Phoowadon 5 / 26 11  
@ranasaleh

Hi, from my reading at a glance, there are some points I have noticed to be improve, hope this at least would help and allowed you to see your indiscernible view.

Your first and second paragraph can combine into one since you tell the reader a same point

your next paragraph on your teacher assistant job need to explain "what is another way you have found to motivate young people---> explain why and how you choose this way---->give a few relevant examples from your chosen way.

To me, your last body paragraph seems to have the most interesting component inside, as You use very fascinating words, I learned both how to lead and follow , this should have been cut and place in the beginning of this paragraph and extend by explaining why and how you how to lead and follow---->give a few relevant examples from your experience.

The conclusion, You need to restate your previous leadership a bit on how it helps you to suit Chevening and how chevening will rebound your leadership in the future.
OP ranasaleh 1 / 4 2  
Thank you Holt for your help. Actually, I was hesitated which way to use, whether to mention all my leadership experiences or to highlight the most effective ones. You made it clear for me.

I will take your comments into consideration and rephrase my essay again.
OP ranasaleh 1 / 4 2  
@Phoowadon
Thank you for your comments. I will try to highlight my experience more with giving examples.
You have mentioned the missing part in my essay, how will chevening help me in my leadership future. I will rephrase the essay and post it again.

Home / Scholarship / Leadership is not a gift at birth, leaders are created by hard work, dedication and experience