Leadership & Influence - Respect every ideas and connect the team for the goal.

ntlinhtran 3 / 8 3  
Please have some times to read my essay and give your review about my writing. Thank you so much and I appreciate every comments.

LEADERSHIP AND INFLUENCE

Chevening is looking for individuals who will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

(minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

My mother always teaches me: "A leader does not need to be the best, but to recognize the potential of each individual and connect them to grab the final objective. This is not any skill that can be learned after several days but acquired through hard work, dedication, and perseverance throughout your whole life."

It was not until my second year that I truly understood what she meant. That was the story when our all-new team was assigned to prepare the Welcome Party for the freshman. Five days before the party, the usual buffet service provider suddenly terminated the contract. However, the time was too urgent to find a new supplier, not to mention that our team continuous quarreled about selecting the new supplier due to restricted food choices. It was hard to have more than one supplier for a buffet, but how about designing a street-food market? Rather than disputing about choosing dishes, it will be better to introduce typical dishes of each culture and sell them in the backyard. I immediate invited the two most chosen suppliers with my senior and proposed to try my plan. Four days left, I gathered my team up to promulgate the new form of the party. We worked all the time except classes, with all our strength to get our sweetest victory: an unexpected high earning from the ticket sales, which even surpass the operation expenses, and the rewards for successful form a long-term contract with suppliers.

One of the best challenges as a leader that I have ever faced was the time being the manager of the enriched-learning center. In 2017, I entered Eye Level at its most difficult time, negative profits, 5 managers in 3 months, no part-time teachers and 2 resigned full-time teachers on my first day. Thus, I decided to place a bet on my probation. I asked the two resigned teachers to stay with me for two months with a 15% pay rise (which I deducted from my salary). Believing in the quality of their teaching, I entrusted entire academic works to the two teachers, including finding substitute teachers. I suggested them to introduce acquaintances for the part-time positions first and together, they would take turns introducing the curriculum to parents instead of counselors. With the consultants, I let them focus completely on marketing the center through different channels while I was working directly with difficult cases. I won the bet and we did bring the profit back to zero and reach positive in the third month. The teachers did leave after two months but still stayed as part-timers and I successfully built the strongest team with me. Though everyone all left for their new job, we're still working and supporting each other in this education industry.

Throughout my experience until now, I do believe that besides promoting the strength of each member and guiding them to achieve the goals, a leader also needs to have the courage to take a required risk and be willing to put his/her faith in the team.
Praise Aninyei 1 / 2 2  
Hello, ntlinhran
I like your grammar, quite decent so there are no corrections about that.
I feel you should remove this statement " one of the best challenges I have had" it dimimishes the importance of your previous example. Amd you can do away with it.

Also I feel you can remove the part where you say you paid the teachers an extra 15% from your salary. It does not just sound right.

Goodluck in your application.
OP ntlinhtran 3 / 8 3  
@Praise Aninyei
Thank you so mych Aninyei for the suggestion. Your comment helps me a lot.

Have a nice week!

Home / Scholarship / Leadership & Influence - Respect every ideas and connect the team for the goal.