Leadership and influence skills before graduation and in the light of my professional career

hanadyz 5 / 8 3  
Leadership and influencing skills

Hi there. This is my answer to leadership question. I made it today and I hope that it does not have major changes. I know that the Chevening deadline is very approaching and I would be thankful if you could post all of the defects in one paragraph and I will make the required edits in one shot instead of posting many times. Thanks a lot for your concern.

I always say that the key of success is not only in achieving your dream in career, but also in the way of how you reached it. It surely depends on quality not quantity. So, when I talk about leadership and influence skills, I will point out them in the light of my professional and before graduation as well.

In my current workplace, the performance of the department where I work was going very good and the flow of work was rather convenient till our section head had to leave his position unexpectedly due to personal issues and, the turnover of analysts increased. What happened then is that the production campaign was extensively augmented and more work was assigned to me. The company also had to face audits and manage this with the main work tasks. I was in this harsh situation till almost no one but I remained in the department. For a long period, I had to work extra hours in many weekends to make up for all the defects that resulted.

Immediately, I thought of setting up a plan to save this situation. I took the advantage of some learnt skills in the on-job trainings such as time management, communication, decision making and problem solving skills as well as cooperation, team work and flexibility. A short-term plan was first established to finish the postponed analysis work and documentation required to be handed over to our Quality Control manager and other connected departments. A long-term one was established to organize the work flow and improve the quality of documentation, the outcomes and purposes of analysis tests and the qualifications of the analysts themselves. Freshly graduated analysts were hired and I was assigned to be their mentor. I was capable of teaching them the bases of quality control along with finishing all required materials analysis. I also taught them all I could from these learnt skills, especially time management (pareto principle) and SWOT analysis of the situation.

I would rather say that I, with cooperation and leading the new analysts, have successfully accomplished the short-term plan in around two or three months. And for the long-term one, a considerable amount was fulfilled and we are currently working on it to make it be fully accomplished in a good timing. Furthermore, I had great results in my annual appraisal and appreciation from our manager.

Considering before graduation, I was the scientific consultant of an organization called SCITA: Science, Creation, Imagination, Technology, and Application. Its values are professionalism, teamwork, integrity, leading change and commitment. That was one of the main factors that made me influence and inspire other colleges to implement these values in their thinking and research.

The outcome of this is that I see myself as a good leader in the future that cooperate with colleges, co-workers or even professors to achieve any values , aspects or ethics ultimately and with perfection.
Hanady, the revisions to your essay are quite simple. Just remove the reference to your college membership in the organization because it is not really important nor relevant to the essay. It is not relevant because you did not really display and leadership abilities or influencing skills. All you did was explain how this organization inspired the kind of leader you became. If you want to retain this paragraph then place it above the professional experience so that it will serve as a lead in paragraph to the real experience you will be presenting. As for the professional aspect, you need to mention who the people involved in the decision making process were and if you were really the leader of the committee. You sound like the leader of a one man show at the moment. However, owing to all of the aspects of work that needed to be enacted, it is obvious that you had to lead a team and more importantly, influence the decision making process. Clarify those points and the essay will be all set.
okorobiadimma14 6 / 82 50  
Hi hanadyz

I am happy to help in your essay. I will concentrate my comment on typos and grammatical errors. I won't change the overall concept of write-up due of Chevening's deadline.

Here are suggestions:

...I have always known that the key to success...but also on how it was achieved. Surely, it depends on...and not...Hence, I will discuss leadership and influencing skills in the light of my professional experience upon graduation.

I have worked in... for... years as a/an... in the department of... We enjoyed convenient working conditions and remarkable outputs until an impromptu resignation by the head of department due to personal issues. Consequently, the turnover of analysts increased and, due to extensive argumentation of production campaign, more responsibilities were assigned to me.

Please, if you are OK with this. I want you to continue from here and revise your essay.

I hope this helps.

Goodluck!

Home / Scholarship / Leadership and influence skills before graduation and in the light of my professional career