Essay on my Leadership and influencing skills as part of requirements to win Chevening Scholarship

Abumahfuz 2 / 3 1  

MY LEADERSHIP ROLE

Essay Questions: Chevening is looking for individuals who will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

(minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

Answer :
As part of preparedness for leadership, I once was tasked with the burden of tutoring and bringing out the best in my younger siblings when there was the need to step up their school performance. During undergraduate study as a group leader in a group presentation, my group was ranked the second best among the 5 groups that helped the leadership skill in me. The group started on a low morale as the topic assigned to us was relatively a new topic without much information available. Members had just very little information presented from individual search and demoralized. As the leader, I strengthened members through motivation that the task was surmountable. I divided the group into two sub-teams each tasked on search for resources online and in the University Laboratory. I showed leadership by collating and harmonizing the resources sourced by me and the sub-teams into presentation form, which restored confidence in team members. My ability to facilitate communications and encourage feedbacks among in the group made our presentation a top notch. I presented the work to the admiration of everyone and the Course facilitator.

I was the leader of my undergraduate project teamwork. The research included experiments with animals (rats), which we were required to feed and administer drugs on for 8 weeks in a group of I as male with 3 females. Others were unwilling to help in the feeding of the animals and cleaning of their cages. I had to. I reached out colleagues at the Zoology department for the administration of drugs and feeding the animals. We required an instrument in the experiment on the animals from another department. It was arduous getting the instrument as an undertaking of replacing it with twice its type was required to which others were not ready to enter into. I did and my team could conclude our research. The study supervisor praised our efforts and promised to publish our impressive research reports.

My plan to study a medical/biotechnology related course at the United Kingdom was inspired by my realization that a deep and solid education is needed to have a critical understanding of the problems related to health issues in my country, Nigeria. It is my dream to devote of my life to the development of Clinical Health sector in my country and beyond. With the influences I have experienced through priority leadership, I am convinced Chevening scholarship will afford me greater opportunity to advance my budding potentials and be able to study to impact positively on the struggling Nigerian health system; the humanity as a whole; and inspire younger scientists globally. I am convinced of my readiness to satisfactorily live up to the offer of Chevening scholarship to the benefit of humanity.
lany83 6 / 15 4  
Hi, I found your essay with weak examples. Take a story, tell how you led, influenced, made others believe in you and show the results you got, make your essay competitive. Look at the other Leadership essays and the collaborators' answers to help you. The first part that talks about leadership with your brothers is unthinkable. And in the final paragraph, you do not need to talk about your study plan, it will already be explained in the next essay. Hope this helps. Good luck to us and play hard.
OP Abumahfuz 2 / 3 1  
Thanks very much Lany I also thought the same about the last paragraph also.. I will also readress the first paragraph.. I wrote one at first but it was more than 500 words So I had to summarize it like this because I want to express the leadership positions have taken.
Taofiq, it is unfortunate that you do not have any really meaningful leadership abilities indicated in this essay that convey your ability to become a noted influencer and leader in your profession. The reviewer is not interested in the training that you received as a future leader. He is interested in learning about your leadership and influencing style in relation to the improvement of your community or your nation. You do not display such type of leadership nor influencing skills in this essay because these are too amateur and non profession related.

What you need to do is show the reviewer that you are an upcoming leader and influencer in the field of medical or biotechnology in your country. Something that showcases your leadership style in a manner that says, "If this guy completes his MS course, he will go back and improve the lives of his people through his leadership and he can influence the government or related health organizations to help his people become healthier. I should take a chance and review the other essays of this person for further consideration." This essay instead tells the reviewer, "He has leadership training but no actual implementation skills. There isn't any proof that this applicant has what we are looking for. I cannot progress his application to the next level."

Academic research is good. Academic leadership is acceptable, if you were not up against professional scientists, scientific researchers, medical doctors, and other high profile government health officer candidates who have verifiable accomplishments in relation to the prompt. You are not in line to compete with them based on this essay. Unless you can prove actual competition on the professional front, based on true national or community leadership and influencing skills, then you don't have a chance to compete past the screening round.

Try to write an essay that reflects your professionalism along with the development of your leadership and influencing skills in a manner that highlights a notable accomplishment that can lead to your consideration as a future leader and influencer in your country. You cannot use any part of this existing essay. It is not competitive at all for the purpose you wrote it.
lany83 6 / 15 4  
First, you do not need to define the concept of leadership, they already know and make your writing tiring, they told me this and I'm talking to you. Second, it still does not have strong leadership. I can see a better potential in the second story than in the first. You do not have to say that is an leader at all times and associate with your attitudes, your actions already justify. Work more on your essay. I hope it helps

Home / Scholarship / Essay on my Leadership and influencing skills as part of requirements to win Chevening Scholarship