My leadership journey for Chevening.

imgroot 2 / 5  

Chevening is looking for individuals who will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries

.
Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

(minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

(According to UNICEF, 17.8 million Indian children remain out of school. The education crisis runs wide and deep in India. The pandemic has exacerbated this education crisis. Due to this covid-19 pandemic, the schools are now running online classes all over India but still a large section of underprivileged children is devoid of education. Seeing this issue, I joined World youth council, an organisation working for the development of youth through social campaigns designed for young people to bring change and work towards youth development through call to action. They started an initiative called Teach from Home.

As a part of this initiative, I found that they lack mobile phones and internet accessibility. Many of them had lost their interest in studies. Some due to unavailability of education were suffering from depression and mental health issue as they were worried about their future. I firstly arranged mobiles phones, internet connectivity and all the study materials for the kids through fund raising.

As I am working from 9-6 so I am teaching these kids daily in the evening and I am trying to make sure that their normal studies and examination do not get suffer due to pandemic. I am teaching these kids through zoom video conferencing. I am teaching currently to class 10th and 12th students who will be having their board examination. I opted for this classes as they will be going to join college and if they do not perform well in their examination then they will have to reappear, and this will jeopardize their career.

Till now I have taught 20 students from 4 different cities and I have also influenced these kids to teach to younger class kids who can benefit from them. Through various social network channel, I also asked volunteers to contribute. Thus, with the help of these students, I scaled the programme to 10 different schools and have also asked volunteers to find a child to teach. They can call their maids, milkmen, house guards, gardeners to ask if they have child or any child around who they can teach.

Recently, United nations celebrated its 75th Anniversary and to mark this occasion, the UN secretary general kicked off the largest ever global conversation to shape the future of UN and global governance. In this context, I took the initiative to join as a member of the National team under the UN75 consultation across the country through confederation of young leaders to shape the public discourse around United Nations and contribute to the conversation around the future of United Nations. To achieve this, I planned and executed UN75 dialogues around various themes. For e.g. SDGs, the role of youth in shaping international and national public discourse. I built state level teams to execute state specific dialogues which also helped in getting maximum and diverse responses for the central survey launched by the UN. I wrote articles, blogs, made audio/video content for promotion of United Nations' work and UN75.

I also got the chance to show international leadership through UNESCO's HackingDisinfodemic 2020 competition around media and information literacy. I was given the task to provide solution to combat online privacy and data protection infringements. As online privacy and data protection invasion has led to cyberbullying. As a solution, I built a web-based platform on which I was working for past 2 years. This web-based platform will provide chat with expert and revenge help porn centre. Through chat with expert feature, victim can chat online with psychologist/lawyer who they can trust. I also made sure that this application should be confidential and anonymous as many do not want to take the help of psychologist because of social stigma. I have also included educational resources to educate people about media and information literacy
devilwearsnike - / 2  
Hi imgroot allow me to give my point of view for your essay. I think you need to consider putting what challenges that you have been through in your journey of leading and I guess you have to consider for the improvement and what impact that you have given towards those actions as well. You can skim-through again using STARL format. Goodluck!!
OP imgroot 2 / 5  
leadership

The issue is wordcount. Could you suggest how can I incorporate these changes or which example I should omit in order to inculcate these changes. Also, let me know how you liked my content as overall.

Thanks for suggestion and advice.
There is not real leadership nor influencing traits presented in this essay. You have shown your charitable side and your civic mindedness. Both are leadership traits, but do not define a person's leadership style or function.Where is the national importance of what you are doing? You are not really doing much in this very wordy essay except explaining what your activities are and how it relates to your job. The leadership and influencing skills are lost somewhere in there. You need to portray yourself as a leader. Try to use 2 paragraphs, one that shows your ability to influence people of a different mindset from you, and another that highlights how you use the influence to lead people towards the completion of an activity that needs to be done.

Home / Scholarship / My leadership journey for Chevening.