Leadership - laying the groundwork for others' success (Chevening application)

Chiechie 1 / 2 1  
Dear friends help me correct my essay with the grammar and points so for it to sound good.

Chevening is looking for individuals who will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own eadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

"Leadership is influence"

I like the famous quote by John Maxwell in which he said, 'Leadership is influence". Leadership is not dictating, commanding or imposing but rather it is being of service to others. It's about laying the groundwork for others' success and then stand back and letting them shine. Influencing comes with empowering others to achieve their goals, bringing out the best in people, putting their needs ahead of your own.

Throughout my life i have encountered the chance to experience the position of being a leader. I have experienced leadership by being part of groups at college for class presentations, being the head of class throughout my whole high school, being part of a family. Some of the valuable leadership traits that i have acquired and strengthened are communication skills, motivation ,delegation ,positivity, trustworthiness, creativity, responsibility and last but not least feedback. Partaking in group presentations as a group leader during my undergraduate gave me the opportunity to inspire my team to exceed their potential to achieve our goals and to speak conversationally. I realised that in order to be successfully in my endeavour i needed to display authenticity because i knew that people always trust and follow those who are real in actions and words , also influencing the group by building a consensus among the group and at the end they were tangible results.

The art of delegating some of the work to my team during that time made me identify the skills of each group member as i assigned duties based on their skills for our researches and that in fact made see how strong of a leader i was cause i was not struggling to get the work done alone. It paved the way on how we communicated, raised the bar in our trustworthiness and increased our level of commitment because i was already empowering them and bringing out the best in them without taking sides. As i was doing this i made sure i was conveying energy and enthusiasm to interactions.

Only a few months after I joined the company i was working for, there was a project that needed to be progressed and my supervisor was also tied up with another project. During the project w, i always took the initiative to being creative and innovative, thus thinking outside the box. That gave me the eagerness to try non -traditional solutions and leave the safe conventional path. This have given me a different perspective to look at things. They were lessons learned from mistakes and they prepared me for the next challenges. Leading a team with action and inspiration helped me get the challenging tasks done at workplace. It was much more challenging since i was a fresher and given the responsibility to lead. Literally i had to constantly look for opportunities to deliver useful information, accepting responsibility and having self confidence , building rapport and trust and the turn-out was amazing. This initial opened doors for me to grow my skills as i was given the a platform to showcase my skills by attending the meeting with the Directors of the company.
van94 3 / 7 1  
I think it shouldn't be encounter the chance since you hadn't mention it anywhere earlier.
be successfully
Hope I helped
Chipo, the first 3 paragraphs are irrelevant to the essay you are expected to write. There is no call for you to define leadership or discuss what you learned about the meaning of leadership based on your school activities. Rather, you need to discuss what professional leadership and influencing skills you have developed on the job. The reviewer is not interested in your college days of leadership. He is interested in learning about how you became a leader and influential person in your capacity as a professional. After all, you are a masters degree student. Therefore, you should have at least 2 years of relevant leadership and influencing experience within the workplace. Just explain that in the essay. You can start by expanding the current 4th paragraph into the opening statement for your essay. From that point, you just need to present more and more impressive leadership and influencing examples based upon the method by which you accomplish crisis management in the event of company related problems.
OP Chiechie 1 / 2 1  
Thank you so much will revisit my essay and post it gain

Home / Scholarship / Leadership - laying the groundwork for others' success (Chevening application)