Leadership Essay - Being A Leader in my Firm

mbippcongek 1 / -  
Hello! This is my draft essay for the leadership section for Chevening. Your prompt response would be very appreciated. Thank you!

mutual trust, enhanced communication, mutual goals

Earlier this August 2018, my law firm was trusted with a case which involved an organization funded by the government of Japan in cooperation with the government of Indonesia, which promotes the use of environment-friendly energy for public transportations in Indonesia.

My superior gathered my colleagues and me to discuss the case. Although I was the youngest team member, I didn't feel discouraged and sit there quietly. Having conducted an extensive amount of research independently, I was able to speak up during the discussion and explain the essence of the case meticulously. On top of that, I was brave enough to express my suggestions and ideas for the team and come up with an improved way to approach the case, e.g., I proposed the team to initiate a site-visit instead of a simple e-mail correspondence for a better comprehension of the project, I was also able to explain the relevant regulations and the respective ministerial office to reach for assistance in the legal and technical aspects of the case.

The majority of the team agreed to implement my ideas and it was proven to be effective. The site visit to the Client's premise helped the team to understand the scope of the case better and having perused the relevant regulations along with the assistance of the officers in the ministry regarding the technical and legal aspects that I suggested, we were able to determine the issue at hand accurately. Due to this, my superior ended up choosing me as the leader for this case.

However, I was faced with an interesting challenge in leading my team. Because of the age gap, my team was not very comfortable in getting directions from me. I realize that I need to eliminate hierarchy in order to make my team and I work harmoniously. Therefore, I arranged a team dinner for my team and I. During the dinner, I told my team that I was incredibly grateful for the opportunity to lead them. I also remind them that despite the roles assigned in the team, we shared the same goals in this case and that I was counting on their ability and experience to move the team toward our goals.

The establishment of mutual trust, enhanced communication and the reminder of our mutual goals managed to motivate my team to be more cooperative. The next day, I gathered my team and presented a list of activities that needed to be done for the case. I asked my team to indicate their strongest and weakest points in each activity. Through my communicative approach, I was able to successfully delegated the tasks responsibly based on their abilities, supply all the required information and allow adequate time for my team to complete the task.
Cinta, there is a lack of leadership and influencing evolution within your essay. The topic you have chosen to discuss does not really convince the reviewer that you are a true leader and influencer within your field because you are speaking of a case handled by your law firm. In fact, there is no case resolution presented in the essay so the fact that your firm was handling a potentially nationally relevant case was lost in your depiction. The reviewer could care less about this presentation.

Simply having dinner and giving an inspirational talk to your team mates is not considered true leadership, nor influencing. It was only you having a bonding moment with them. Making suggestions and talking up during the group meeting, which was headed by someone else does not show you in a leadership role, you only functioned as a member of the team. Now, had you said that you were assigned to handle the overall project and team because of your suggestions, then that would have been the basis of your leadership and be considered as a valid sample by the reviewer.

Try to show at least one more instance of leadership and influencing on your part. It could be a college experience that would help better build your image as a professional leader as a lawyer or, you could discuss a community service activity such as working cases pro-bono or giving free legal advice and influencing the people coming to you for advice in some manner that helps them with regards to their situation. Anything that will help to show your potential and development as a leader who makes a difference through influencing. This essay definitely lacks that vibe at the moment.

Home / Scholarship / Leadership Essay - Being A Leader in my Firm